College Laptop With Large Budget

Isotope5667

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hello,
Due to funding and scholarships, I have up to $1,300 to spend on a laptop for college, and am looking for some suggestions!

1. What is your budget?
$1,300+ for laptop and accessories. I need to use all of this money or it goes to waste. I can pitch in a little more if necessary.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13"-16"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. Already have a gaming desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Enough for a full day of classes, with a good amount of use.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not necessarily. I have a gaming desktop, but if it works well with the budget I wouldn't mind.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I am going to be an engineering student, so I'll need enough power to run programs relating to that.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256GB minimum, and would like an SSD. More storage would be better, but will probably store most in the cloud to share between my laptop and desktop.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Definitely last through all 4 years of college.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
None in particular.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.A

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Friends mentioned buying a Mac, since it would be within budget and is a good laptop, but I was thinking I could get a better Windows computer for the same money. Also, I am unsure if there would be compatibility issues with my desktop, and the software I'll need in college.

Thanks!! :)

MerrJ0210

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Helios-GeForce-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C?tag=sysprobs-20

With this you get a kabylake 7700q and a desktop GTX 1060, the only issue may be battery life but if you select the windows power saving option you should be hitting about 6 hours of non gaming use I'd say. Much better than the above option as the 4k display will be pretty redundant of you can't use it to it's full potential due to being limited with the Intel integrated graphics.