College Theft Tracking

Karver

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I am going to college soon and im bringing my gaming desktop with me. I've heard a few stories of some people's desktops getting stolen so I was wondering whats the best security for it. Between maybe a software, to a physical device inside the computer? Recommendations?

Solution
You could go with something like this:

http://www.sonicshock.com/sonicshock/sonic-shock-overview.html

Still getochkn is quite correct - not much you can do overall. Would not spread the word about your gaming desktop. Keep control of your room keys, watch for people eyeing the system, hope for a responsible roommate(s). Lock in a closet or secure somewhere else if you leave for a few days.

Engrave some small identifying marks (not your SSN) here and there on the desktop. Write down the components and any respective serial numbers. Save somewhere secure.

You might be able to get some sort of theft insurance just in case - maybe as a rider on your home/rental insurance policy. However, read the fine print very carefully.

I...
Software won't stop a desktop from being stolen. Even something that locked and encrypted the hard drive, then steal $2000 gaming desktop, take out locked hard drive, install new $50 SSD, profit.

As far as physical, again for desktops, not much.

And that relies on custom firmware implemented by hardware manufacturers for LAPTOPS. The OP asked about a gaming desktop. Laptops have many tracking features. Desktop are the question here.

You could go with something like this:

http://www.sonicshock.com/sonicshock/sonic-shock-overview.html

Still getochkn is quite correct - not much you can do overall. Would not spread the word about your gaming desktop. Keep control of your room keys, watch for people eyeing the system, hope for a responsible roommate(s). Lock in a closet or secure somewhere else if you leave for a few days.

Engrave some small identifying marks (not your SSN) here and there on the desktop. Write down the components and any respective serial numbers. Save somewhere secure.

You might be able to get some sort of theft insurance just in case - maybe as a rider on your home/rental insurance policy. However, read the fine print very carefully.

I worked several years in a guarded Federal Government building - theorectically more secure than a college dorm. We had desktops, laptops, and other peripherals disappear on a regular basis. Very rare that anyone was caught.....

Solution