Colorware Gives Your PS3 Slim a Paint Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Sorry, Jane, I wouldn't even do that for myself. Having my game console painted just isn't that high on my list of things I'd like to have.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I think this is for someone who has too much money to throw at video games. Wouldn't anyone just want to buy more games instead of painting your PS3 slim that will eventually become obsolete.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Wait, $150 to color the console? Couldn't that buy me a couple of new games and a controller? Or if I go to GameStop and pick up either used or older games, couldn't that get me 4 games pretty easily, maybe more?

Let's see, Blue PS3, or Black PS3 but 100 hours of more gaming entertainment... tough one...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
$149? Ouch. You can get a can of Krylon at walmart for like $5.

And why does the screenshot say they must be region 1 encoded? I can't send in a Japanese PS3 for painting? That seems odd. What are they doing, renting out a console during that time?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]$149? Ouch. You can get a can of Krylon at walmart for like $5.And why does the screenshot say they must be region 1 encoded? I can't send in a Japanese PS3 for painting? That seems odd. What are they doing, renting out a console during that time?[/citation]

They probably don't actually spray your one but give you back one that someone else has sent in, switching the hard drives if necessary. Doing so would mean they could have a much faster turn around per customer since spraying them and waiting for them to dry probably takes a while or they probably do them in a big batch. Having them all the same region would make logistics far easier.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
This really does seem like a waste of money for most people, however, $150 extra to make a console match someone's $10,000 lounge remodel isn't a big deal. If you're earning enough money for this to be small fry then you'd likely be interested. Colorware have been around for a looooong time charging these kind of amounts for spraying all kinds of things. They obviously get enough customers to be able to make a healthy living.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
spanky deluxe: yep, especially since the serial is unimportant since the warranty is right out the window when they apply paint to the casing... seems logical..

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]They probably don't actually spray your one but give you back one that someone else has sent in, switching the hard drives if necessary. Doing so would mean they could have a much faster turn around per customer since spraying them and waiting for them to dry probably takes a while or they probably do them in a big batch. Having them all the same region would make logistics far easier.[/citation]
While it would make logistics easier, unfortunately each PS3 HDD is paired to the specific PS3 unit. You can't 'swap' HDD's and just boot-up the PS3, it will ask you to format the drive first which means the customer would lose all their data.

They must really paint your unit on the spot but I'm not sure how long you'd have to wait for the job to be done + the paint to dry. At any rate, $149 is a hefty price to pay for a paint job. Heck, its half the cost of the console.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]-unknown-[/nom]While it would make logistics easier, unfortunately each PS3 HDD is paired to the specific PS3 unit. You can't 'swap' HDD's and just boot-up the PS3, it will ask you to format the drive first which means the customer would lose all their data.[/citation]

that sux.. one of the things i like about the 360 is being able to take my HD to a friends and bootup and play my saved games with my expansions and themes or minigames i buy in the arcade...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]They probably don't actually spray your one but give you back one that someone else has sent in, switching the hard drives if necessary. Doing so would mean they could have a much faster turn around per customer since spraying them and waiting for them to dry probably takes a while or they probably do them in a big batch. Having them all the same region would make logistics far easier.[/citation]

They WOULD paint the unit the customer sends in. They would get SUED to switch out the drives. What if a non-smoker got a Smoker's PS3? What if the unit fails? Not because of the paint job but because someone else had a defective unit, etc.

It would also effect their warranty service. ie: the serial number doesn't match.

Paint dries in a few hours. If they're getting a lot of business, then 1 guy is doing nothing more than removing the case and another is painting.

Or if he has an order to make 5 white PS3s in a single day... that'll be a big time saver as well.

Of course, we can all assume that the paint job voids any manufacture or extended warranties.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]that sux.. one of the things i like about the 360 is being able to take my HD to a friends and bootup and play my saved games with my expansions and themes or minigames i buy in the arcade...[/citation]

Yeah... thats because its more difficult to transport your 360... need to disconnect the wireless networking, carry the huge brick, etc, etc.

PS3 is small and light enough and easier to transport.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009

Or, should they screw up for some reason, they don't want to have to track down a PS3 from another region.

G

"that sux.. one of the things i like about the 360 is being able to take my HD to a friends and bootup and play my saved games with my expansions and themes or minigames i buy in the arcade..."

Yeah but you are also stuck buying Microsoft's hard drives. On my ps3 I can put just about any Notebook hard drive. I was able to upgrade mine to 320GB for a reasonable price.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
well professional paint jobs for anything are never cheap. you can try some DIY but usually people make their goods look worse while doing so. look at cars, guitars, homes, etc. usually the price tag is something you think about more than twice before going for it. i'd do it, if i had the cash. but then again i'm obsessed with customizing/modifying things. maybe i'm their target audience.

jjpmann

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]They WOULD paint the unit the customer sends in. They would get SUED to switch out the drives. What if a non-smoker got a Smoker's PS3? What if the unit fails? Not because of the paint job but because someone else had a defective unit, etc.[/citation]

Most likely if they were switching anything it would be the outer shell that was painted. Don't think that would have any correlation to failed units.

Status
Not open for further replies.