Combine Headphone plug and mic plug into a single plug

TheAtomicGoose

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hi All,

I've bought some ATH-M50's and a ModMic 4.0, but my laptop only has one jack for both headphones and mic. Is there a piece of hardware that lets me combine the headphone and mic cables into a single plug that my laptop will accept? Thanks!

No there is no piece of hardware that can change the traces and the audio chip inside of your motherboard as that is what would be required to convert your stereo headphones to a mono headphones and microphone. To have stereo and mic and ground is completley impossible with 3 contacts.

They make usb sound cards.

Now you can reasearch if your laptop does by some chance support a 4 contact 3.5mm audio jack (is this is what phones use that have speakers and mic).

TheAtomicGoose

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I know that my laptop does support 4 contact 3.5mm jacks, because I have some headphones with an inline mic and they work just fine. Would that mean that I could get something that combines stereo headphones and a mic, since with a ground that would be 4 contacts, or is that out of the question? If so, I'll look into usb sound cards.

BeatDaBest

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Not sure if you're still looking for something, but this one works as well! It's a bit cheaper too. Whatever you do don't buy the one from DK though because their mike input is broken!