Solved! Combo VCR not working with new Roku TV

Dec 23, 2019
Hi. I recently purchased a new Roku Smart TV - Sharp 32 inch, model no. LC-32LB601U. It's my first Smart TV and it's been a bit challenging figuring out all the ins and outs of setting up everything but I thought I had everything all figured out until this morning when I encountered something that has me completely stumped. I would really appreciate any help in solving this, if it can be solved. I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR combo attached. The model number is SD-V295. I have it hooked up with the 3 wires in back - white, yellow and red. There is no HDMI port on the VCR/DVD player so don't have any other option and they are hooked into the only three corresponding ports on the television. I set up the DVD choice on the Smart TV a while ago and it's worked fine. This morning I tried to play an old VHS Christmas tape and I can't get any sound, only video. I tried several other tapes just to be sure it wasn't that tape. It seems like the TV is not picking up audio from the VCR. I really don't think the problem is with the VCR heads, as I recently had watched it with the old TV just before it was replaced. Does anyone have any advice as to what I might be doing wrong or what I can do to fix this? Thank you.

Solution
Do you get sound with a DVD?
If you do then the TV is OK but the VCR is the problem.
If not then you can check the TV by connecting another audio source to the AV input. You could use a phone with the right cable. You may need to leave the video connection from the VCR since some TVs won't let you select a input without video present.
Do you get sound with a DVD?
If you do then the TV is OK but the VCR is the problem.
If not then you can check the TV by connecting another audio source to the AV input. You could use a phone with the right cable. You may need to leave the video connection from the VCR since some TVs won't let you select a input without video present.

Solution
Dec 23, 2019
Thanks. I am getting audio with the DVD, just not with the VHS. I can't figure out what to change or do to fix it as there aren't any other settings to select and no other places to put in the a/v connectors.