Comcast: Same Old Story, But 250 GB Cap Now Official

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]Somedude_514[/nom]Exactly Eggrenade, I called them today and complained that they should at least give customers access to their bandwidth usage by logging in online like cell phone companys do. I don't like the cap, but even worse is to give me a fast car without a speedometer. Everyone that feels the same way should call them and speak up.[/citation]

I'm sure they will very soon so customers can figure out what is really the usage. Hopefully this will quiet customers down.

250gigs a month is plenty for average user unless you're running a mini ISP for an apartment building which is against the TOS.

If you use alot of bandwidth then don't be greedy, upgrade to the next tier and PAY for it!!

Sheesh. Cheap bastards.

KaiserWarrior

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
[citation][nom]oop[/nom]thank god i don't use comcast. this is bull shit... "Comcast said that a typical user on its network currently uses a bandwidth of about 2 GB per month." come on now gamers will use way more than the 250gb of bandwidth they provide.[/citation]

If you have a 500kbps connection (fairly good for residential broadband in many areas), you would need to be maxing out your line for 138.8 hours to hit that 250gb cap in a month. That's 40 hours a week for three weeks solid. If you're on a 1mbps, that's 69.4 hours in a month, or 2 hours a day, every single day, maxing the line out. Keep in mind that, while watching a 2-hour movie, you're not maxing the line the entire time -- only during the loading, which isn't the full 2 hours.

Suffice to say, you'd have to have a seriously, ludicrously hardcore lifestyle of watching 2+ movies a night every single night for this to be an issue. To those talking about passing the 250gb/month limit with movies/music: Try actually buying products for once instead of stealing them left and right, and you might lower your internet bill.

G

it's not about being cheap or not dude.....other isp provide unlimited bandwidth and out of no where comcast puts a limit on their coustomers' internet service....i guess they just want their coustomer to switch to another isp if they don't like it....coustomers shouldn't/don't want to worry about if they will go over the limit or not period.
neways i shouldn't even care since i'm not even using comcast.

G

why would coustomers want to worry about if they will go over the limit or not.....250gb of bandwith might not matter to most ppl now but in a year or two later things will be different....it's just not a good selling point to put a limit on your internet bandwidth...it's as simple as paying the same amount of $ for a isp with a limited bandwidth vs one without a bandwidth limitation

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I'm not surprised this happened, in a way you guys are lucky. I live in turkey and we have caps starting at 2 or 4gbs... It goes up to 10 gb and then has a 'unlimited' service plan where you obviously pay a lot more...

250gb is a treasure trove in comparison!

pangloss44

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation]And I guarantee you, I will be using WAY more then 250 gigs.But I can promise that that 250 gig cap won't be increased to compensate.[/citation]

How can you promise that? 10 years ago my local ISP had a cap of 2GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.