Solved! Comcast Xfinity and need for a "digital adapter"

Technopeasant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hello,
I have been a Comcast (CC) Triple Play Customer with Expanded Basic. Effective 1/1/11, my statement says I have XFINITY Services and Expanded Service. On 2/2/11, I received a notice from CC stating effective June 1, 2011, digital equipment "MAY" be required on ALL my TVs to receive Limited Service Channels 3-17, 20, 22, 28, 96 & 98. The notice then states: "After the upgrade, any TV without digital equipment may no longer receive any channels." It then instructs me to determine if I have a Digital Receiver (DR) and a Digital Adapter (DA) for each TV. I have a DR for each of my 3 TVs, but the only device which looks like a DA is on my computer. I have 3 Samsung LCD flat screen TVs, purchased in '07, '08 and '09. After 6/1/11, will I need a DA for each TV to receive the channels I now receive in the CC Expanded Service package? Or, am I good to go?

Solution
depends if the digital receiver has a digital ID.
gotta have some numbers to register the boxes.

you need QAM for cable television.
ATSC for over-the-air with an antenna.

i think its possible that ATSC is the technology used to transport the data.. and QAM is the technology to have your receiver's hardware ID so that they can block you from getting channels you dont pay for.
and actually.. i think they simply put your boxes ID onto an 'approved' list, while everybody else is blocked from the content.

if your digital receivers have already worked with the network.. they shouldnt have any problems whatsoever in June.

cable companies still broadcast analog broadcasts?
i know the airwaves have gone to digital.. didnt know the cables in...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
depends if the digital receiver has a digital ID.
gotta have some numbers to register the boxes.

you need QAM for cable television.
ATSC for over-the-air with an antenna.

i think its possible that ATSC is the technology used to transport the data.. and QAM is the technology to have your receiver's hardware ID so that they can block you from getting channels you dont pay for.
and actually.. i think they simply put your boxes ID onto an 'approved' list, while everybody else is blocked from the content.

if your digital receivers have already worked with the network.. they shouldnt have any problems whatsoever in June.

cable companies still broadcast analog broadcasts?
i know the airwaves have gone to digital.. didnt know the cables in the utility poles still had analog.

not much else to be said.
i wish i had my own hdtv receiver to alleviate the monthly bill of renting one.

Solution

snowcris

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

I was on the phone with CC today about the same problem. They told me that every TV
needs to have a digital adater unless it has a cable card or a comcast dvr