Comfortable PC headset for hot climate?

pris0nerr

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hi, I live in a hell environment where the average temperature in summer is in the ~90F (~30c). I have a headset that pushes hard on my ears and with the hot weather causes some sweat around my ears.
I was interested in buying a headset mainly for gaming (and for movies) and was looking at the HyperX Cloud Alpha headset.
I like them (even though they lack virtual 7.1), but my only concern is that they would cause same sweat as my current headset.

What do you suggest I should look for in a headset for hot climate? Would the headset I mentioned above be good?

Solution
If you're in a quiet room open-back headphone will have better sound stage and imaging (positional awareness). However if open-backs just isn't an option, I'd say go and find some velour pads and see if those will help enough. Usually you want to go either fully open or fully closed ie. Closed-back headphones with leather material pads and open-backs with velour style pads.

Cheers

Lutfij

Splendid
Buying an air conditioner or having a fan aimed at your head at the lowest possible speed to move air across and remove the moisture. I'm not joking!

If you're looking at headsets, you should look at headsets which have ventilated pads like the ones found on Logitech Headsets but they don't offer sound isolation. The way the material contacts your skin surrounding the ear will cause the headset to isolate outside noise(to a degree).

Where are you located?

pris0nerr

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Thank you for the quick answer, I obviously have an air conditioner and it helps, though playing (Overwatch) for 3+ hours makes my ears want to explode sometimes even with a/c :)

I'm currently located in north Africa and summer is coming fast over here. I just researched for Logitech headsets and found the G933 that have foam cups which supposedly help the heat. They are an old model though. Do you think I should get headphones with cups like these?

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo pris0nerr

If you have the chance change out your current pleather pads with some velour pads. This will allow some more heat to escape, but as @Lutfij said it won't isolate nearly as good.
The best option would probably be some open.back headphones. These kind of headphones won't isolate at all and people around will hear you, but the certainly will help with the heat.
If that sounds just a tad interesting, something like the Philips SHP9500's would be a great choice. Enormous cups and light. I've used them beforehand myself and never experienced sweat build-up even in summer times.

Cheers

pris0nerr

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
That does sound interesting, though since my main usecase is gaming (FPS), I'm afraid that open-back headphones isn't as good as closed-back for positional awareness and sound direction. Maybe closed back + a/c + ventilator OR closed back + mesh fabric cups is the best compromise?

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
If you're in a quiet room open-back headphone will have better sound stage and imaging (positional awareness). However if open-backs just isn't an option, I'd say go and find some velour pads and see if those will help enough. Usually you want to go either fully open or fully closed ie. Closed-back headphones with leather material pads and open-backs with velour style pads.

Cheers

Solution