Component to HDMI converter troubles!

knucklepuck

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hello,
I'm new here and I have a quick question to ask the community here at Tom's!

I recently purchased a Component to HDMI converter for my older generation XBOX360 which doesnt have a HDMI port on the back of it. I recently purchased a 40" LCD Bravia for my room with the XBOX in it.
Anyways, I got the converter off of eBay, and it's pretty simple to use, plug in my 6 inputs from my component cables to one side, then have a HDMI cable run from the back of the unit to my TV, providing me a true 1080i/p picture supposedly.
The problem is, I get a lot of blinking and flashing to black on my screen about once every 2 or 3 seconds, and the sound is either distorted or doesnt come through at all. The actual converter unit itself gives off a lot of static electricity, about half of the time I touch it I get shocked. Does that mean its a defective unit or just a poorly made product? I know I'm not hooking it up wrong, there's really no way to mess it up. The item purchased was brand new (sealed). Nothing is wrong with any of my HDMI ports on my TV, as I have a Blu-Ray player on it, and have tested the signal on all 4 of the HDMI ports and it works fine!
Any help/questions/comments are greatly appreciated!
Thanks again,
Mike