Computer Engineering student looking for laptop!

Mikey_Dinh

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Hey everyone, in September I plan on studying computer engineering. However I've been stuck on deciding which laptop would best fit my needs. I already have a great desktop at home so I'm looking for something to carry with me to school everyday. The current things I've been looking at were...

Surface Pro 4 // I5-6300u, 8gb of Ram, 256gb SSD
Dell XPs 13 // I7-6560, 8gb of Ram, 256gb SSD
Razer Blade Stealth // I7-6500u, 8gb of Ram, 256gb SSD

of these choices, I was really leaning towards the surface pro 4. My question is do I really need the I7 processor compared to the I5? Would I surface last me all 4 years are university? Do I need a dedicated GPU (i.e 950m, 960m, etc) for what I would do in University? Any another recommendations around that price range would be great!

Solution

I would get a thinkpad, because they have good battery life, are durable and they just work. I would look into the

Lenovo P50 because its is the best bang for your buck for the tasks you may use it on. Otherwise if you want a small laptop go with the X260.

Mikey_Dinh

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Sorry the price range is around $1500 CAD with some flex room. I'm actually not sure what tasks ill be doing since I dont start school until september. However, I do believe it will be mostly coding.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I would get a thinkpad, because they have good battery life, are durable and they just work. I would look into the

Lenovo P50 because its is the best bang for your buck for the tasks you may use it on. Otherwise if you want a small laptop go with the X260.

Solution