Computer recommendation help: fanless, waterproof keyboard, long interchangeable battery, i5 U processor, laptop

Feb 18, 2018
Hey experts, I'm looking for a new laptop, with some pretty specific needs (see below). I haven't been able to find the right one, so looking for your help!

Key must have criteria:
1. No fan (a key failing point in my previous computers.)
2. Waterproof keyboard (Similar, key failure point)
3. Long battery life (10+ hours) that's interchangeable
4. Intel i5 U processor
5. It be a laptop, not a tablet, because I don't like how a tablet with keyboard flops open.

The closest computer I found is the Microsoft surface, but it's a tablet and the battery isn't interchangeable. The other alternative was the Dell XPS 13, but its keyboard isn't waterproof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Answers to typical questions below:

1. What is your budget? Up to $1.5k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Light and for travel, so 13 inches max.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Any

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 10+ hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No gaming.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Nothing intensive, just word, chrome, etc. Cavet, I always leave Chrome on, so it has a tendency to drain additional RAM - I know I should periodically close Chrome and restart it, but I don't want to have to do this if I'm paying a good chunk of money for a new laptop.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not much. Max I need is 128 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I haven't found what I need.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 10+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Any reputable brand

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Please see note at the very top about the 5 must haves.

Solution
The only fanless laptop with a Core i5 "u" CPU is the Acer Switch 5. It uses liquid cooling, but it is a 12" convertible laptop. Below is a review with an i7-7500u.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Switch-5-7500U-512-GB-Convertible-Review.236900.0.html

There is really no such thing as waterproof keyboard unless you want to purchase a waterproof external keyboard. There are business laptops that have keyboards with drain holes and is isolated from the rest of the laptop, but that is a very specific design. The only laptops I know of that has this feature are Lenovo ThinkPads (and they have fans). A few of their ThinkPad series are stated as "spill resistant", but they lack drainage holes.

Most laptops have integrated batteries...
The only fanless laptop with a Core i5 "u" CPU is the Acer Switch 5. It uses liquid cooling, but it is a 12" convertible laptop. Below is a review with an i7-7500u.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Switch-5-7500U-512-GB-Convertible-Review.236900.0.html

There is really no such thing as waterproof keyboard unless you want to purchase a waterproof external keyboard. There are business laptops that have keyboards with drain holes and is isolated from the rest of the laptop, but that is a very specific design. The only laptops I know of that has this feature are Lenovo ThinkPads (and they have fans). A few of their ThinkPad series are stated as "spill resistant", but they lack drainage holes.

Most laptops have integrated batteries. However, high end Lenovo ThinkPad laptops do have both integrated and removable batteries (like the T series) which allows you to switch batteries without turning off the laptop.

Below is a link to the ThinkPad T series. The T470 is a 14" ultrabook and has drainage holes. The T470s is the slim version which is thinner, lighter and more expensive; it has a spill resistant keyboard. Both have "front" (internal) and "rear" (removable) batteries. However, only the T470 offs the higher capacity 48Whr and 72Whr batteries as options. However, with default configurations the weight is 3.48lbs and 2.9lbs respectively.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/c/thinkpadt#compareSection

The Dell XPS 13 does not have a spill resistant keyboard. If you seek a laptop of comparable weight, then consider the 5th generation 14" ThinkPad X1 Carbon with the i5-7200u CPU; it has thin bezels around the screen so it is about the size of a typical 13.3" laptop. The Dell XPS 13 has a 13.3" screen but it also has a very thin bezel around the screen making it more like a typical 12.5" laptop. The ThinkPad X1 Carbon starts at 2.49lbs similar to the Dell XPS 13 and it has a spill resistant keyboard (see link to review below). However, it does not have a replaceable battery like the 14" T-series and starts at a higher price, but within your budget.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th-Gen/p/22TP2TXX15G

http://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/thinkpad-x1-carbon-review-2017/

Solution