Solved! Computer Sacrifice for VR

Nov 5, 2018
I have a hp slimline 260-a114. I want to try to upgrade it to play VR games. Can I take the guts of my computer put it in a new case with a new graphics card and play VR?
I understand I would need a new psu and would also probably get an ssd

I’ve seen people talk about that the motherboard is a laptop motherboard and something about external gpus
And 24 to 20 pin splicing for the psu
I don’t mind researching all that stuff to figure how to do it just need to know if the system would be capable and if it’s possible

Aug 27, 2018
What are the specs of your laptop?

I can't say off the top of my head whether this would be possible to do. Some laptop motherboards may be transferrable to a desktop case, but most of the time they are missing holes for motherboard standoffs, in which case transferring the guts wouldn't work.

Another issue could be that the CPU/GPU are soldered directly onto the motherboard, making any sort of upgrade to those parts impossible. If your laptop specs are not good enough for VR now, and you can't upgrade them because they are soldered, your whole idea of transferring the guts becomes moot..

Hopefully there's someone who knows and has experience with that exact laptop who can advise you better than I can. I'm not experienced with laptops and have never attempted to transfer the guts over to a desktop case, but generally speaking, from what I've seen on these forums, it is either impossible to do or simply too much of a headache to be worth it.