Solved! Computer speaker quality question

Feb 14, 2018
I have a quick question, I use m-audio bx8a monitors as my PC speakers. The motherboards audio out includes left, right, and center sub. The subwoofer can also output to the left and right monitors (it has input to sub and also output to monitors). Would it be best to plug everything directly to the PCs ports? Or should I go PC to subwoofer to monitors? Thanks.

Solution

No need to use the sub out in your case, the sub is doing the crossover to the higher frequencies to the satellites. Need to add this info in...
Don't use the sub out. Just connect the speakers to the standard audio connections for stereo. Although your last question makes it seem you left something out, do you have a subwoofer also you did not mention? The M-Audio speakers you have are just two way stereo speakers, there is no sub that goes with them, so either you left out the fact you have a sub you want to use with them or you are asking if you should connect the sub out on the computer to the M-Audio speakers.

Feb 14, 2018

I have a BX10s subwoofer. Left and right channels pass through this then go to the left and right monitors.

No need to use the sub out in your case, the sub is doing the crossover to the higher frequencies to the satellites. Need to add this info in the original post so we don't need to be detectives to sort out your setup LOL

Solution
I agree that you don't want to use the PC sub out. The reason is because the subs have low pass AND high pass crossovers. By running the monitors through it you will get a better blend than using the PC sub out. This is especially true since they are designed to work together this way. The 24 db/oct slope will remove bass quickly from the monitors allowing them to play louder and cleaner.
Most subs don't have high pass crossovers so in that case using the PC sub out will remove bass from the monitors.