Computer Speakers under 200$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirall

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
Hello tech buddies!

Currently I have some logitech speakers, which worked great, but are now making static noises. I can't really expect much from these now since they are like 5 years old or so. I have decided to buy new speakers. I would like tp have speakers that could be connected to a bass subwoofer. The logitech subwoofer works tremendous, would it be possible to connect it with a new set of speakers (sorry if this is obvious to you, I have no exerience in speakers).

I am not much of an audiophile, although I have the m50x's headphones. What I am first and foremost looking for are speakers with nice design. I really like black paired with a wood color. Currently I have ordered a new desk (ragnars r5 sit stand) and I have ordered a slickwraps bamboo skin for my phone and other stuff in bamboo. I think it is safe to say I really like bamboo wood. I would like some speakers with a nice design, prefferably with a bamboo base like the Polk Audio Hampden AM6510-A. I have also seen the Sengu SG-S132 Bamboo Speakers, but these are rarher (cheap) and I think there are better options, plus I want to use my old subwoofer, not a built in one.

I really like the polka ones, and it has a 4 dtar ratibg on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Hampden-Bluetooth-Streaming/dp/B00II5T5HS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1476768602&sr=8-1&keywords=Polk+Audio+Hampden+AM6510-A&linkCode=sl1&tag=all0369-20&linkId=ab4b9167d1fc08dda3342a71ebf22362). Although I have seen some buter bewares on peoplw saying it isn't worth it (https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/polk-audio-am6510-a-hampden-buyer-beware-stay-away-from-these-speakers-c740147.html)

I know that Bose is a really trusted company, and I have seen the bose companion 2 abd 5. I have also considered the Harman Kardon Soundsticks. I wonder if Bose might have some bamboo or wood designs, or if it is easy to make my own slickwrap or dbrabd ski, as my mother works at a printing company, so maybe they could make some high quality stickers?

So to conclude what I am asking for: I am looking for good sounding speakers, although the design is the preference, where some wood style, prefferably bamboo would fit perfectly with my setup. Thanks buddies!

Solution
no mine are wired they didnt have the wireless version in the store

and wireless wasnt something i needed any way

yes like a window is a good way of putting it--not as clear as a window because of the curves on them but yes you see the colour of what ever is behind them

and dont let the small size fool you they pack a fair wallop

the bass on the subwoofer is adjustable which i like as dont mind bass but not totally thumping

i honestly hear things now in music etc i didnt when i used headphones which were decent enough headphones corsair for gaming and sennheiser for music

yes they werent the cheapest i could have got but i feel satisfied with what i paid because of the sound quality,and the looks/design and the small size of the...

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
since you mentioned the Harman Kardon Soundsticks.

i have them and they are very good

and as they are clear with silver and very small amount of black visible they kind off co-ordinate with most stuff

wish they had shoved some rgb lighting in there though as think it would make a great effect on them

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
and yes you can get bamboo effect vinyl or even bamboo veneer

but thats only going to work on speakers with a squarish shape

dont think vinyl would work well on the Harman Kardon Soundsticks. due to the curves in their shape

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
or if you are a bit creative could actually use real bamboo sort of like those phone bamboo speaker things you can get

a piece/tube of large bamboo would actually slide right on over the Harman Kardon Soundsticks

and the subwoofer is usually on the floor out of sight any way

since when is bose really trusted? blind trust in a company with fair build quality at best, cheaps out on products yet has a high price tag and only average sound quality is not something i'd faithfully believe in. yes, bose has some "okay" products but nothing worth the price tag, at least in the consumer segment.

why pc speakers? for your budget you could get into some hifi speakers or active monitors. adding a "decent" subwoofer would cost more though i'm thinking.

soundsticks are one of the better pc speakers. highly priced, but not bad if you want a pc speaker marketed product. likewise the klipsch promedia is not bad as well although the subwoofer overshadows the satellites pretty badly. i owned one then returned it because of the mismatched sub/speaker levels (and ended up buying klipsch home theater speakers since i was impressed).

for your budget you could get yourself some nice powered speakers like the cr3/cr4, av32/av42/av30/av40, pb42x or similar. or, you could get some unpowered speakers (Passive) and get an amplifier. mb42, bs22, klipsch kb15, etc.

dayton sub- prefixed subwoofers arent bad as cheap add ons. the psw10 isnt either but is a bit less powerful for the cash.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah the Bose earbuds I bought bit the dust after not even a year of owning them. I won't ever buy again. The Klipsch earbuds I have now are so much better.

i've owned a pair of bose headphones in the past as well and at the time i thought they were good (they certainly were better than $15 earbuds and $30 headphones). after i bought a pair of m50's though i realized how bad they sounded and how much of a rip off they were. mine broke as well (the cable is far too thin on bose). their speakers are overpriced as well and honestly much of the technology is low end but implemented in a way that they sound okay. bose should have huge profit margins given what they charge and how much they actually cost to make.

you have the s4 or r6 klipsh buds?

@mc

i know eris is a respected brand though i dont know much about them. the e8 seems to get alot of praise though i did see some mention of the 4.5 as well.

i forgot to mention krk on the list above but there are certainly some other options as well (though i'm not as familiar with them so didnt list them).

i've personally heard the cr3/cr4, av32, promedia, soundsticks and audioengine a2 in comparision A/B testing side by side if that helps.

@op

i'd worry less about bamboo effect and more about sound.

fancy products are designed to *LOOK* pretty not *SOUND* good. often what you get is aesthetic products with poor function. what is more important is something designed to sound good.

want a bamboo look? i'm sure there are adhesive films you can get printed with a bamboo effect. with a little trimming you could make the sides of most speakers look like they were solid bamboo.

the audioengine a5+ is available in bamboo. their prices however are high for what you get though they arent bad speakers. likewise the p4 (you need a seperate amp for) is bamboo.

i would question any no-name brand speakers. its easy to make a product look pretty but what you need really is it to sound good which is not so easy.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

thanks

seems like the op has a few good choices to pick from now

though none in bamboo yet lol

Thirall

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Oh that sounds nice. There is only that one type right? And does it really fit in with the other stuff in your setup, I have a feeling that it would stand out. Maybe this is asking for a bit much, but could you maybe include a picture of your setup with them for reference. And is that bowl a bass subwoofer, it sort of looks like a smoke pipe xD.

Thirall

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Okey I see, well seems like the sticks are a great choice in design and sound quality. I see a few is mentioning Klipsch, and I'm not trying to be sassy or anything, but for me the design is just rather "normal" :D. Yea I guess I could look into buying real thin bamboo and stick that on but that is a lot of effort for this big of a speaker system. I think the sticks will suit me nicely, only if they fit with other stuff. The sticks are sort of futuristic, and i have a spaceship statue, and perhaps I could have some space wallpapers to complement the speaker set. Thanks for all the answers, and keep em coming guys!

the sticks are a bit weird looking and always have been. they are reminiscent of a hookah or alien spaceship so often clash with any non-modern styling. they are however one of the best sounding pc-speakers available. getting a pair of monitors will sound just as good if not better, depending on what you get.

your choice of course. i just gave some options.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
yes only one type--though versions 1,2,3 last time i looked

yes the dome/bowl is the sub woofer

havent got my camera to hand at the moment will try to get a photo after my dinner

but as they are clear and silver they really do blend in well only the base of the 2 satellite speakers is black--some sort of heavy rubber--it also allows you to

tilt them if you want to--theres a pivot on there that you dont see

and a very small circle of the diaphragms you can see the black

even the wires that join the 4 individual speakers in each unit has been done in silver not black so as not to stand out too much

i have to admit i bought them for the sound of them though i happen to like the look and the fact the 2 satellites take up very little room not being boxy

shaped--i was in the shop so got to hear them--though here in the uk we are pretty limited with choices for pc shops one big retailer basically dominates it--

so i only had around 12 different sets of speakers to choose from unless i ordered online but i wanted to actually hear them for myself before buying

Thirall

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

For me having my one 27 inch monitor is enough :D.

Oh wait you meant like studio monitors? Yeah they are quite big and take up alot of space, I want to have much space left for other stuff, so a stick will suit nicely I belive.

Thirall

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Yeah really leaning my way on this speaker set now.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
cant find my camera right now so had to use my phone--and yes i know i suck at photography lol havent got an artistic bone in my body

thats a standard sized wifi adapter in a usb stand next to it to give an idea of the size and a 27 inch monitor

the tilted ones just to show you can angle them if you want to--at a rough guess as far as 45 degrees before they would fall over more than in the photo

Status
Not open for further replies.