Daniel Browning

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
I'm trying to hook up a 5.1 surround sound system to my computer. After realizing that I couldn't simply use an aux cord, I consulted my computer manual and found this section on surround sound:

"To setup your system for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound you will need to connect the audio cables to the Line-In, Headphone-Out, Microphone-In and S/PDIF-Out jacks (7.1 speaker only)"

What I don't understand is how I connect my speakers, which have speaker wire running out of them, to the stereo mini jacks in my computer. I'm pretty inexperienced with this stuff, but I can provide further specs if needed.

Solution

Are your speakers computer speakers OR just typical home theater speakers?
Computer speakers typically have a plug in to a power outlet...

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

Are your speakers computer speakers OR just typical home theater speakers?
Computer speakers typically have a plug in to a power outlet and have a volume control on them.

but I don't think that's the case for you...
"which have speaker wire running out of them"
If the sentence above is any indication then
.. they are typical speakers. Which means you need a 5.1 receiver for amplification.
The setup goes like this...
Audio from your computer leaves using a digital surround sound signal on your S/PDIF Out.
The cable goes from your computers S/PDIF-Out the receiver's S/PDIF-In.
Then the receiver converts the digital signal into sound and provides an amplified audio to each speaker.
The receiver will have a spot to put those wires you were asking about...

Bottom Line: You can't do it the way you are attempting... It's not amplified from the computer so the sound signal isn't even close to strong enough. If you rigged it up anyway you would hear it VERY faintly if at all.
Your manual is referring to connecting speakers made for a computer. They have the amp built in and typically use the 3.5mm jack for each set of audio channels.

Solution
what speakers do you have?

unless you have some very small low-wattage speakers you can not connect them directly up to a pc soundcard if they have bare speaker wire connections. you would need to use an amplifier or receiver to power them.

pc speakers are typically powered and use 3.5mm connectors (green/orange/black) while home theater speakers use speaker wire in most cases.

the only case where you wouldnt need an amplifier is if they are powered (if they have an AC plug on each of the speakers... but i do not think this is the case here)

i could tell you for sure if you list both what you are connecting (brand/model of speakers) and what you are connecting to (brand/model of soundcard or motherboard)

Daniel Browning

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
Ah, I get what you're saying about needing the receiver for sound amplification. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing here so I appreciate the answer. I actually have a receiver, but it's old and cheap and doesn't have the right ports to connect to my computer, so I guess I'll keep an eye out for a used one that has what I need.

what receiver?

if its old then it probably has analog ports (which is actually going to be easier to connect up to your pc)

does it have red+white rca jacks under each speaker for input (ie 2x ports r+w under left front or LF) ?

most importantly to know though is the wattage and ohm rating (speaker efficiency wouldnt hurt also) for your speakers as well as what the receiver supports. you need to match them up or it will not work right.

Hi Daniel,What model computer/motherboard do you have. It sounds like with those ports, you have to adjust some things. Also, you need to make sure windows config is setup plus realtek is setup correctly. What is the model of speakers and receiver. It really saves us time if you post all information.

Be seeing you, the Prisoner...