Computer will not maintain power to USB

MC0315

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
My Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7202 will not maintain power to the USB ports when sleeping or shut off.

I like to charge my Kindle Fire from the USB ports; I usually do this when I am not using either the computer or the tablet. (I know it's slow, but it is convenient otherwise). This used to work fine; I could charge the tablet when the computer was sleeping or even shut off completely, even when the computer was on battery power.

However, something has changed. The computer routinely shuts off USB power when it goes to sleep. Likewise, there is no power to the USB ports when the computer is shut down or in hibernation mode.

I have disabled the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option, and I have also disabled the selective suspend setting for the USB.

I have no idea what has gone wrong, but it is driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The issues are probably separate, even though they seem connected. And you wouldn't have to modify anything to have issues. Even system and driver updates can do that. Not to mention programs. Try the following two fixes and see if they help.

1. For "Sleep Mode" issues, see if this helps...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

2. For the USB issue...

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
2. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section.
3. Double-click on the "USB Root Hub device".
4. Now click the "Power Management" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
6. Click the "OK" button.

NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device" listed, Then you will have to repeat this steps for each one of them.

7. Restart the computer and all the ports should work now.

MC0315

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, Webworkings. Unfortunately, they have not worked. :(

The USB problem is especially vexing. Neither the solution you mentioned nor the disabling of the selective suspend setting for the USB has been effective.

As for the sleep problem, I think I may have misinterpreted what was happening; rather than waking and returning to sleep, I now think the sleep function may simply put the computer to sleep in two stages. (The computer is relatively new, and I've never seen a computer that goes to sleep that way.) So,
I've updated my original post accordingly.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.