Computer won't start after adding ram

ineedhelp55

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Hello,

I just purchased DDR3 memory, (2x4 for a total of 8 gigabytes) to replace the 3 gigabytes in my HP 2000-299WM laptop. According to the HP website, this laptop is capable of a maximum of 8 gigs.

When I went to install the two new items, the laptops display would not work. I could hear the disk drive move and the power button would appear on, yet, it was just a black screen.

I looked around across the internet and found others with this problem, but I haven't really found a definitive answer, especially in my scenario.

I tried updating my bios, but that did not work.

Not surprisingly, when I put the old 3 gigabytes of ram back in, it worked just fine.

I would really like to upgrade this laptop like the HP website said I could. Please help!

Thanks!

Bad_Kitty13

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
by dont start do you mean the whole system is getting power or motherboard comes on but no display?
did you add ram to existing ram?
what slots do you have the ram in?

can you list some more details of your problem

ineedhelp55

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

I am not quite sure how to know of the mother board is getting power. Everything lights up and it sounds like it would be turning on any other time but there is no display. My guess is the mother board is not working. I have two slots and I put the two new 4 gig ram chips into the slots.

Bad_Kitty13

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

sorry when i first seen your un edited post i thought it was a desk top. but speeds and voltage are the 2 big things you should try to match, or with the speeds see how fast your mobo/cpu are rated to handle. some laptops wont work with higher speeds than the ones they are rated for