Confused about DVI and Audio

stevenw1234

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hello, so I have really no technical knowledge at all, and I have a question involving how I get audio from DVI. So I know that DVI doesn't carry sound unlike HDMI, but does that mean I have to plug my headphones into the audio jack in my monitor? Or does that mean I have to plug my headphones into the audio jacks on my motherboard IO?

Solution
In order to get audio from your PC, your headphones need to be either plugged into the audio output of your PC directly, or plugged into something like your monitor that will pass the audio signal from your PC on to your headphones. So if you want to plug your headphones into your monitor for sound, then you need to make sure the monitor is plugged into the audio output port of your PC. Monitors with built-in speakers usually come with a stereo cable that will connect the PC's audio output (it's the green one if they are color-coded) to the monitor. Then the monitor either plays the sound out of built-in speakers, or it can pass the sound to a set of headphones or speakers when either is connected to the monitor.

So something has to...

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
In order to get audio from your PC, your headphones need to be either plugged into the audio output of your PC directly, or plugged into something like your monitor that will pass the audio signal from your PC on to your headphones. So if you want to plug your headphones into your monitor for sound, then you need to make sure the monitor is plugged into the audio output port of your PC. Monitors with built-in speakers usually come with a stereo cable that will connect the PC's audio output (it's the green one if they are color-coded) to the monitor. Then the monitor either plays the sound out of built-in speakers, or it can pass the sound to a set of headphones or speakers when either is connected to the monitor.

So something has to be plugged into the audio output port of your PC. Then the audio signal either goes directly to speakers or headphones, or it may pass through a device like a monitor. But it must originate from the PC's audio port, and end in your headphones (I'm not discussing other methods of getting audio out of the PC, such as HDMI or optical or coax, since this is not what you are asking about).

Solution