Confused between HP and Lenovo

Maria_1

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
Hello
I am browsing the market for a laptop to replace my "very" old HP Pavilion dv6 1390ev. I am looking for a good i5 intel processor with main applications of office, photoediting (Photoshop), internet, and very moderate gaming.
one seller gave me the following choices:
HP15-r232ne and Lenovo Z50-70 (with with preinstalled Windows which is an advantage). HP model additionally comes with Office 365 (I have no idea what this means as a version number).
He also showed me a model from DELL 3542, also with preinstalled windows.
For me, I would have gone with HP given my previous experience with it, but he recommended I better go with Lenovo or DELL. I have a DELL laptop at work, and overall its fine, but maybe I have become bored with this brand with its standard build shape and black color :)
Lenovo looked very nice (silver), but I heard a lot of negative comments on Z50-70 i5 in terms of build quality, screen resolution (especially in light) and also overheating.
So I feel I'm back to the HP model, but I am unable to find any reviews that are specific to HP 15-r232ne model to give me some assurance.
Now I shared my confusion with you, I hope you can help me with my choice or tell me your expereinces with the mentioned brands and models
thanks

lenovo took over the older ibm laptops that were work horses for biz people. the older units were well built from ibm. hp units and compaq...there been a l;ot of units from hp that had recalls on batteries..ac bricks and system board. system board there been bad caps....bad video chips from nvidia not hp issue but people with those laptops got shafted by hp and other vendors. some of hp laptops had power port isues with the port snapping off and the unit shorting out. there also be a few hp and dell laptops that had class action lawsuits do to defective system boards. check with each vendor now there warranty and repair. the older ibm they covered shipping both ways to there repair dept and had 5 days or less repair and turn around. find out if there are repair needed who doing it and where. some vendors now use 3 party repair depot.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

If you want to use the laptop for gaming, an integrated intel GPU is not suitable
some laptops with AMD CPU/GPU may be ok for light gaming
Some Intel laptops have additional Radeon or N Vidia graphics
or can switch between integrated intel GPU & additional GPU according to graphics loading
(to reduce power consumption and increase run time on battery)

Note a laptop i5 is only as powerfull as a desktop i3,
dont buy one with a Celeron CPU based on the Intel Atom

Any version of MS Office is a usefull addition if you do not have a spare retail licenced version.
MS Office 365 is only part of its description, you need to know what else is included beyond Word & Excel.
some have support for more than one device and give on line cloud storage.

Lenovo has a bad reputation at the moment for including adware and a BIOS which re installs the adware if it is removed

Toshiba is another well known Laptop manufacturer.

regards
Mike Barnes