Connect computer to wire inputs

sslane

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hello,
I have ceiling speakers installed in a house that I recently purchased. My grandson was able to wire them to his stereo receiver by using speaker wire, so I know they work.

What I'd like to do is connect the stereo wire to my computer in order to play something like say, Pandora, throughout my house. I have a 5/1 set of speakers on my computer now.

As far as I know, the wall switch which controls the ceiling speakers has two sets of inputs, labeled 1 and 2. Each set has 2 pinch plugs.. one red and one black.

Fortunately, my computer is only about 6 feet from this wall mounted input for the ceiling speakers.

Obviously, the regular computer speakers are plugged into the computer now, and I'd like to leave those attached, and have a switch or something in order to activate the ceiling speakers. (LOL I don't need the entire house hearing that I've got mail!)

Can you give me an idea of how to make this work?

Thanks in advance!!!
Sharon

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
The stereo receiver may already have "Sound In" inputs for LR/Surround Audio. You could possibly just purchase a normal Left/Right Audio Cable to 3.5mm jack and go from there. If not, let me know and ill get a bit more extensive :)

sslane

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I appreciate your answer. However, my grandson uses his stereo receiver upstairs, so there is not a receiver on the ceiling speakers currently. I had hoped I might be able to connect the ceiling speakers directly to the computer.

If not, could you tell me what all inputs and outputs I would need for a receiver to have to make this work? Thanks!

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
OK, after doing some digging, here are the 2 items that you will need. (and if you need more speaker wire, just buy matching gauge copper wire)

First, you need a RCA to Speaker Wire converter:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=RCA+to+Speaker+Wire+Converter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=l5xOTNncCYr6sAPyvazkBw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQzAMwAA

Then, you need a 3.5mm (headphone jack) to RCA:

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=3.5mm+to+RCA

You combine these two, and you should be able to use the speakers. If you want a more complex system, you will need to get a Receiver system, which cost so much by themselves, your better off buying a new surround sound system for the same price.... (but thats just my opinion)