Connect home theater to pc

sponge_man69

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
i have my hdtv connected to my pc via hdmi and i bought a cheap home theater(panasonic sc-xh150) it has optical and rca inputs. i have a xonar dg sound card. do i connect the ht to the pc or the tv? do i use the optical cable or the rcas?

Solution
An optical cable from the sound card to receiver is the best. I've never seen a TV that will pass 5.1 sound through the digital audio out, except from the digital tuner. All other sources will only be stereo only.

Casey
Connect the PC video to the HDTV via the HDMI output from your graphics card. Connect the PC Audio to the Panasonic via the optical output of the the Xonar DG Sound Card. Be sure to change the default audio device on your PC to the Xonar card.

-Wolf sends

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
An optical cable from the sound card to receiver is the best. I've never seen a TV that will pass 5.1 sound through the digital audio out, except from the digital tuner. All other sources will only be stereo only.

Casey

Solution

Dainard Jackson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello there,

Many many thanks for sharing your information, you can watch TV shows, movies, and videos on your HDTV or any other TV with appropriate inputs. You can listen to music through your home stereo if it has AUX, VIDEO, or any other input using a standard RCA connection.

Thanks a lot again
Dainard Jackson

Server Cabinet