Connect Macbook Pro to projector to Sonos 5.1 system

jasontrk

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
Hi, I'm designing a new house I'll be moving into in a few months and am planning the home cinema room. I will be getting a projector to stream my films from my macbook via HDMI and games via PS4, but I'm not sure how I'd go about passing the audio through to Sonos speakers. I also want to have a TV that sits behind the motorised projector screen, so I'd need to connect the tv to the speakers too.

Would be great if I could get some pointers on how I should go about the setup. I've seen the words receivers and hdmi splitters thrown around, not sure if those are required for my setup?

Thanks,
Jason

Solution
Sonos speakers, while they are fine for distributed music aren't really up to your planned setup. The Playbar or Playbase is designed to connect to the optical out of a TV. Since all the speakers have to be plugged into AC the rear speaker placement can be a problem. The three front speakers being in one box are too close to each other to provide sound to match a large projection screen.
If you have to use Sonos then an HDMI input selector with audio extraction would provide an optical output for the Sonos front speaker.
The way I would do this is use passive speakers plus active subwoofer. Get an AV receiver with two HDMI outputs (one for each TV). Connect the Macbook and PS4 to the receiver. Add a Sonos Connect if you want that for...
Sonos speakers, while they are fine for distributed music aren't really up to your planned setup. The Playbar or Playbase is designed to connect to the optical out of a TV. Since all the speakers have to be plugged into AC the rear speaker placement can be a problem. The three front speakers being in one box are too close to each other to provide sound to match a large projection screen.
If you have to use Sonos then an HDMI input selector with audio extraction would provide an optical output for the Sonos front speaker.
The way I would do this is use passive speakers plus active subwoofer. Get an AV receiver with two HDMI outputs (one for each TV). Connect the Macbook and PS4 to the receiver. Add a Sonos Connect if you want that for music.
If you used a Marantz or Denon AV receiver those may have their Heos system built in which is a valid competitor to Sonos.

Solution