Connect multiple loudspeakers to PC

elijah_

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I currently have my headphones and a pair of speakers connected to my PC, however I'd like to use the PC as audio source also when I'm not sitting at the PC.
For this I got 2 loudspeakers placed further away in my flat. Is it possible to use them without changing the cables on my PC? I have my PC speakers connected to the green jack of the back panel and the headphones to the front panel of the PC, but the new loudspeakers won't play when I connect them to the grey/orange/black jack of the back panel (mainboard is MSI Z77A-G45). So how do I go about it or is changing cables on the green plug the only option?

Thanks.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The amp on the motherboard is not strong enough to push a regular set of speakers.
You will need an amplifier and a splitter to connect to the green plug in the back to get sound through large speakers.
Most computer speakers, 99.9% have a built in amplifier.

elijah_

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

I did connect the second pair of loudspeakers via an amp and they play fine.. It's just I can't get both pairs of speakers to work without changing cables at the green back panel jack.

Do I need a splitter for the jack to do that?

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The different plugs on the back are for 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 amplified speaker setups.
The green jack is used for 2.0 and 2.1 setups and the other jacks are used for 5.1 or 7.1 setups.
Check you manual for the motherboard, or the sound control panel in windows for setting up each configuration.