Connect optical cable to tv or a source(xbox)?

Cesarb12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I recently purchased some 5.1 speakers and wanted to try out optical audio for the first time. They'll be here tomorrow, so I can't test anything out myself yet.

Question is do I connect the optical cable to my tv or my Xbox? My previous setup was that my tv has a 3.5mm and my 5.1 was connected through there. Whether I switched to the HDMI input connected to my PC, or the HDMI connected to my Xbox, the audio on my older 5.1 speakers worked. My PC doesn't have optical, although it does have onboard 5.1 plugs. I read somewhere that if I connect the cable optical to my tv and I switch input between the PC or Xbox, I will only be getting 2.1 sound and not the 5.1 as if i plugged it into the Xbox itself. Is this true? The speakers I bought supposedly have a 3D option that turns 2.1 into 5.1 (Logitech Z906).

Solution
That is a possibility but you should just be able to hook up the HDMI to the TV for video and the optical to the speakers for audio. If you do this you shouldnt have any issues with that. Just make sure to go into the settings on the xbox to tell the audio to go out on the optical (and possibly turn off audio on HDMI otherwise you might get an echo).

Cesarb12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Alright, I'll do that then. Do you know if it's true that connecting it such as from my Xbox>HMDI>TV>speakers will only give me 2.1 and not 5.1 sound?

rtware923

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
That is a possibility but you should just be able to hook up the HDMI to the TV for video and the optical to the speakers for audio. If you do this you shouldnt have any issues with that. Just make sure to go into the settings on the xbox to tell the audio to go out on the optical (and possibly turn off audio on HDMI otherwise you might get an echo).

Solution