Connect pc to tv

Sfjkll

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I want to connect my pc to tv and use just only tv in place of monitor, i have a vga output in my cpu and my tv connections are http://
what will be the results how will be results like a monitor and what i will need to achieve this?

Solution

That's a 21" TV, I really would not spend anything for a video converted on it, just get a used LCD TV. Even a 26 or 28" one would be larger than yours now and won't cost much more than a converter. For most video cards a simple VGA to component cable won't work, this is from one cable "NOTE: Specific TV-out feature on video card is required, please check with your video card output specification for compatibility" this is from another "this cable is not designed to work in anyway with a computer's input or output."

Which means you need an active converter which are about $35+. A used TV is very close to that.

Adrian Ocampo

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

What you just showed us are audio inputs for the tv. :)
Make sure your TV has one of this, HDMI, DVI or VGA. If not then im sorry bro

My god, do you ever dust that thing?

In theory you can use it, but the video card has to support an output format that the TV uses. Looks like Composite or Component video. I'd ask you for a picture of your video-out, but I'm a little bit afraid of what it might look like. Or you could try something like this, but I have no idea how well it will or will not work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882241180

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Slow down a little. Lots of video cards have composite or component output, but first we have to determine if any of them will work with your machine. So first, what kind of machine do you have? What brand, what model, is it a tower or a notebook machine? Can't pick a video card if we don't know what it's going in to.

Second, note that my first link is eight bucks and claims to connect a VGA output, which you have, to a component TV input, which it looks like you have. This might be a simpler, or at least cheaper, solution.

Sfjkll

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I have this machine Dell 755 Desktop INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.66GHZ 1GB DDR2 RAM 80GB SATA HDD DVD ROM INTEL Q45 EXPRESS CHIPSET BUILT-IN SOUND, LAN.
If i use VGA to RCA Component Cable which is shown in the link so will i get the results on tv like monitor?

The cable claims to do what you want. I have no idea if it actually works; I've never used a VGA to Component adapter.

The specs I found at the Dell site claim that it will support a PCI-E graphics card. I would not buy one without opening the case to see if there is actually a free slot. Have you worked inside computers before? If not, I would suggest that you try the cable as the simplest solution and see if it works. Otherwise, any video card with composite or component output will probably work for you.

What model TV do you have? If it's not HD, you will have a horrible looking picture on it from a computer, pretty much unusable for anything but some blurred video watching. Text will be very hard to read.

Don't waste money on anything to connect your computer to your existing TV, you can get a used HD TV from craigslist or somewhere similar for only a bit more than a new video card or converter. Heck, a NEW 32" LCD can be had for under $200.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
From the looks of the tv, if beyond all hope, it is an HDTV, it's likely 720p, and being a very old tube tv, convergence is probably off, picture has degraded, and he is sure to be disappointed, trying to read text on it, as he said he wants to use it INSTEAD of a monitor. The best bet would be to just get a cheap (but full 1080p) LCD, the largest size you can afford. I did what he's trying to do years ago, running component from my eVGA 7600GT sli setup to a 27" Toshiba flat tube tv (excellent picture for DVD back then), and it was a crushing disappointment. 5 mins later, I disconnected it and never tried that again until I got an actual HDTV which I'm typing this on right now. Sfjkll, if you're truly serious about this, get an HDTV, or you're going to waste your money and be disappointed.

What brand and model of TV is it? If it's a regular non-HD TV, it will look bad. For movies not as bad as for text, but won't look nearly like a monitor. Even an old tube monitor has a resolution of about 1024x768 or higher for the larger ones, even the older ones are 800x600, where an old tube TV has a resolution of almost 1/2 of that.

Is that your exact mode, the KV-32S42? According to the spec sheet, it only has Composite and S-Video inputs, no Component. A Component TV would have a better image with a converter, but unless it's an HD screen, playing HD movies on it won't look good. Like I said before, you can get a used 32" LCD for not much more than what the converter would cost. I got a used 37" Vizio 1080p TV for under $200 and it's been running for a few years now with no issues.

That's a 21" TV, I really would not spend anything for a video converted on it, just get a used LCD TV. Even a 26 or 28" one would be larger than yours now and won't cost much more than a converter. For most video cards a simple VGA to component cable won't work, this is from one cable "NOTE: Specific TV-out feature on video card is required, please check with your video card output specification for compatibility" this is from another "this cable is not designed to work in anyway with a computer's input or output."

Which means you need an active converter which are about $35+. A used TV is very close to that.

Solution