Connect Samsung Soundbar to my Pioneer receiver to use it as front speakers and use the woofer

Eppu

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I have an old Pioneer receiver and got a new Samsung sound bar. The sound bar is only 2.1 channel system and I would still like to have the 5.1 system. I understand that the rec out signal could be used to this purpose but is it safe. If I connect the rec out to the 3.5mm jack on the sound bar I get a humming noise that is not bad, but can it damage the sound bar. I do not have any HDMI or optical out from the receiver so I need to use analog. Would it better to use the preamp center channel or the Sub woofer channel than the rec out?

My devices are

Pioneer VSX-D508 receiver
Samsung HW-FM45C

Thanks in advance

Solution
The record out is stereo (not surround sound) and does not vary with the receiver volume so you don't have any way to adjust the volume for all the speakers at the same time. If you connect the soundbar to the front speaker outs with one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
you can control the volume of all the speakers from the receiver.
You would need to select large front speakers & no sub so the bass would come from the soundbar sub.
The hum you are getting is probably a ground loop which the adapter above would probably solve as well. If it doesn't you would have to try lifting AC grounds to get the noise to go away.
It can also be caused by improper grounding on some cable systems.
The record out is stereo (not surround sound) and does not vary with the receiver volume so you don't have any way to adjust the volume for all the speakers at the same time. If you connect the soundbar to the front speaker outs with one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
you can control the volume of all the speakers from the receiver.
You would need to select large front speakers & no sub so the bass would come from the soundbar sub.
The hum you are getting is probably a ground loop which the adapter above would probably solve as well. If it doesn't you would have to try lifting AC grounds to get the noise to go away.
It can also be caused by improper grounding on some cable systems.

Solution