Connect surround sound system to tv.

Damorihno

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I have Samsung surround sound system that plugs into our DVD player. I want to let the tv play through them as well as the DVD player. See, New speakers the subwoofer would act as a hub that all the other speakers plug into. For me, they all plug into the DVD player, and that acts as the hub, as they were made for each other. Could I get a 5.1 Receiver and plug the speakers into it, and the tv into it, and have the tv play through the speakers? Plugging the tv into the DVD player via mini stereo to the red and white audio doesn't work.
Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
can you post what system you have specifically? It sounds like you bought one of those box set surround sound deals which are usually gimped to only work with what came in the box.

Specifically what kind of connectors do the speakers themselves use?

Damorihno

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, I'd have to agreee with that. It's several years old now. I can't give you exact models etc as I'm in bed where I live right now. All I can tell you is that all speakers plug into the back of the DVD player. They plug in with simply the two cables coming from them basically put into a small plastic connector. Basically to make it easier to plug in I'd say.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015

Probably not then. Most stand alone receivers used old school twisted cooper cables, though some use proprietary plugs, I think Sony ones do.

Damorihno

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I think I could actually rip off the plastic plugs and get the copper cables out