connect yamaha 202 to subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtaylor100

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
I am replacing an amplifier with a Yamaha 202, which does not have a sub output. I have a single rca line routed through the wall to the subwoofer. Can I get reasonable results with this single rca line? I have an adapter that connects an rca female terminal to speaker wires. What speaker terminals should I connect these wires to? Should it connect to both left and right speaker terminals? My sub has left and right "line in" rca inputs, but obviously, I can use only one of these. It also has speaker wire inputs, but I could only connect to one on these (unless I split the single rca cable into two sets of speaker wires).

There are also "line out" left and right terminals on the Yamaha 202. If I use one of these, would I connect this to the LFE input on the subwoofer?

I know the best solution is to use the speaker wire inputs and outputs on the sub, but this would require getting these wires through the wall to the sub -- and this is impossible.

Solution
1. Correct
2. If you want to try combining the stereo outputs to mono there is some info here
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/stereo-to-mono-converter.157210/
I think you can get away using one of the outputs.
3.If you are using the B speaker terminals it is perfectly fine to connect the speaker to line level convert in parallel with the A speakers. If the wire is too thick to fit easily trim it down.
You can't use the record outputs on the Yamaha because they are fixed level. The volume of the sub wouldn't change with the main speakers.
Connect the speaker to line level converter to the B speaker terminals and connect one RCA output to the subwoofer. Turn on the A and B speaker outputs.
If the sub has an RCA input that has a low pass filter use that one instead of the LFE input. That usually doesn't have a filter so the sub gets a full range signal and that doesn't work well.

vtaylor100

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

vtaylor100

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Thanks. This is very helpful. A couple questions.

1. My subwoofer is a polk PSW111. It says in the manual to use the line in inputs for "receivers with full-range (unfiltered) Left and Right "Pre Out" jacks. I think that I will get the same unfiltered output from the speaker terminals. Is this correct?

2. Should I connect my rca adapter to both the right and left speaker terminals (essentially merging both signals), or is one necessary or sufficient?

3. I have speakers on both the A and B speaker outputs, but I seldom use the B speakers. I think you are suggesting using the B speaker outputs because you think these will be unused, and that having both speakers and the subwoofer on the same terminals will create a problem. If this is the case, I can probably do without the B speakers. Is my line of thought correct?

Again, thanks.

1. Correct
2. If you want to try combining the stereo outputs to mono there is some info here
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/stereo-to-mono-converter.157210/
I think you can get away using one of the outputs.
3.If you are using the B speaker terminals it is perfectly fine to connect the speaker to line level convert in parallel with the A speakers. If the wire is too thick to fit easily trim it down.

Solution

vtaylor100

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

vtaylor100

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Thanks for your very clear responses to my questions. The new amplifier is scheduled to arrive today and I will let you know how it all works after I hook it up.

vtaylor100

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Jan 15, 2019
Hi fellas. I have a Yamaha RS202 and a sub-woofer Klipsch R10SW that has a the RCA Line In. I used a RCA cable and connect both terminals (red & white) from the Sub-woofer to the only RCA Line Out in the receiver. I would like to double check I'm not damaging my speaker or the receiver using the Receiver´s Line Out instead of the Speakers B, as mentioned before. Based in what you explained, the difference is that I can not control the Sub Volume using the receiver volume. Other than that, I have sound (bass). I tried leaving only the LFE line (white) connected in the Sub. There is just a tinny reduction in the sound power. Not that much. Note, I didn´t move the gain (volume) of the sub at 3 or 5 % and I have fair Bass Sound .
In advance, thank you for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.