Connected tv to laptop as second monitor.

Jun 19, 2018
I've taken on streaming and decided to use my tv as my second monitor via hdmi cord. It works perfectly however I don't want the sound coming through the tv. I rather leave it as coming through the laptop. I have Windows 10. I tried using tutorials on fixing this, went to sound settings and it will not allow me to select my laptop. It only has the tv as an option. What can I do to fix this?

Solution
it can be tricky with laptops. most of the time the integrated audio on laptops is recognized as audio that goes along with the monitor just like how the speakers on a tv go with the tv and it won't let you pick. however, make sure you have the option to show hidden devices enabled inside the sound settings to see if it is still there. you should be able to pick between the two. if not, then your next solution is to plug headphones or a basic pair of speakers that connect using a 3.55mm connector into the laptop and setting that as default audio. or even a bluetooth speaker either in bluetooth mode if the laptop has bluetooth support or using an auxilary cable in the same fashion as a pair of basic speakers.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
it can be tricky with laptops. most of the time the integrated audio on laptops is recognized as audio that goes along with the monitor just like how the speakers on a tv go with the tv and it won't let you pick. however, make sure you have the option to show hidden devices enabled inside the sound settings to see if it is still there. you should be able to pick between the two. if not, then your next solution is to plug headphones or a basic pair of speakers that connect using a 3.55mm connector into the laptop and setting that as default audio. or even a bluetooth speaker either in bluetooth mode if the laptop has bluetooth support or using an auxilary cable in the same fashion as a pair of basic speakers.

Solution