Connecting a Sound base to TV without HDMI (ARC) and optical

Simonjwattsmusic

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a Sony Ht-XT1 sound base and am trying to connect it to my 42 inch LED soniq E4210B.

The instructions say to connect either through HDMI (ARC) or optical but my TV has neither of these. It has 3 HDMI ports but two of them are DVI and the last one is a standard HDMI

I have tried connecting the sound base through HDMI to all through ports and it won't work..

What can I do?

Please help!

nismoguy82

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014

Option 1: as you said it.
Option 2: coax from tv into converter. Then from converter, l/r male rca y splitter with male 3.5mm stereo into the aux audio input on your bar.

With option 2, you will have to select aux input on your bar to get sound, instead of tv input.

getochkn

Splendid
I can't find anything on your TV model, are you sure it's right.

Regardless, the Sony acts like an HDMI switchbox, so you can plug all your HDMI devices into it, then the output of the sony into one of your TV's HDMI inputs.

nismoguy82

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
You won't get sound from just your tv to your sound bar if you don't have HDMI ARC/Optical/Digital Coax, if all you want is just tv sound. If you're connecting other devices to the bar, you'll get video out to tv and sound to the bar from the devices.

Example: No sound from over the air tv without those connections. But, you'll get sound from a video game console or dvd/bluray player.

Simonjwattsmusic

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

Apologies, the TV is a Soniq E42Z10B

When watching television, the sound is only coming out of the tv not the theater system. I have the sony output connected to HDMI input 2 on the television.

I have attached the ps4- hdmi from the ps4 into the sony input 1 and audio and video is working when the tv is on hdmi 2.

Simonjwattsmusic

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

TV has a digital Coax input but the bar does not! So I can't get sound for over the air tv through the bar? :(

nismoguy82

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014

Get something like THIS with a Toslink cable to the bar, or THIS with a RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable to the bar. You will get better sound with the Toslink option.

nismoguy82

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Toslink cables are sensitive to sharp bends, so be careful with that. If you use the rca adapter route, you might have to switch the bar to its aux input instead of tv input. The toslink is dedicated to the tv input, but the stereo aux doesn't seem to be. It's for general aux stereo input. And make sure to disable your tv's speakers and enable sound output in the tv settings.

Simonjwattsmusic

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

Thank you for your help. For option one, the coax would be the input from the TV and the optical into the sound bar?

For option two the sound bar has no coax or analog R/L inputs so this wouldn't work I assume.

nismoguy82

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014

Option 1: as you said it.
Option 2: coax from tv into converter. Then from converter, l/r male rca y splitter with male 3.5mm stereo into the aux audio input on your bar.

With option 2, you will have to select aux input on your bar to get sound, instead of tv input.

Simonjwattsmusic

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

Option 1 worked! thank you so much!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
N Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 4
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 1