Connecting Audiophile Sound Card to 7.1 A/V Receiver Using Different Ways for Better Sound/More Channels

Optimo85

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hello,

I'm wondering if it would sound better to hook my audiophile sound card that has red/white RCA outputs to my 7/1 receiver for better sound (more channels/less conversion) or would just using the SPDIF out to the SPDIF input on the A/V receiver be the same thing?

When I use SPDIF I only see that it outputs 2.0 channel audio. To sum up my question I'm wondering if using the RCA red/white or COAX to the receiver will have more dynamic sound and/or output 5.1/7.1 instead of the 2.0 channel SPDIF outputs. I Also don't want to use HDMI from my graphics card as that also outputs 2.0 channel audio. I'm looking to pretty much turn stereo audio into 5.1/7.1 from my PC out through my 7.1 receiver.

Thanks in advance!

Optimo

Solution
In general it's better to let the receiver do the surround sound processing and digital to analog conversion. It has much more attention and money paid to these functions. if you use the analog output of your soundcard it will be doing the processing not the receiver. The receiver may still convert the analog to digital and back again so you would be adding processing.
The best solution is to use HDMI if the receiver has HDMI inputs. This supports all audio codecs including the lossless ones. An SPDIF coax connection can handle 7.1 ( but not lossless codecs) if your PC will output that way. Check the soundcard makers to see if there is a driver update that will let you set the digital out to 7.1.
In general it's better to let the receiver do the surround sound processing and digital to analog conversion. It has much more attention and money paid to these functions. if you use the analog output of your soundcard it will be doing the processing not the receiver. The receiver may still convert the analog to digital and back again so you would be adding processing.
The best solution is to use HDMI if the receiver has HDMI inputs. This supports all audio codecs including the lossless ones. An SPDIF coax connection can handle 7.1 ( but not lossless codecs) if your PC will output that way. Check the soundcard makers to see if there is a driver update that will let you set the digital out to 7.1.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS