Connecting DVD player to the TV

Apr 7, 2018
The TV is an older model Vizio. We do not have the model # for the TV. The DVD player is also an older model. It is a SONY RMT-D197A. I left the 5 plugins in the DVD player, but when I pulled them out of the TV so that I could change places to where the DVD player would be sitting under the top of the TV cabinet, I discovered the color of the plugins for the TV do not match the color of the plugins in the back of the TV. Now we cannot get the DVD player to play. Hope you can advise. Thanks, Jan

Solution
Ok. That's good enough (I hope).

First different connection types

AV/Composite - This is a three cable connection. It's color coded for Yellow (Video) and Red/White (Left/Right audio).
Component - This is a five cable connection. It's color coded for Green, Blue, Red (Video) and Red/White (Left/Right audio).

It sounds like your DVD player only has an AV/Composite output while your HDTV only has a component input. This is fine. If you check on page 24 of your User's Manual, there you will see that you can connect the yellow output of your DVD player to the green input of your HDTV. The red and white cables still connect to the right-most red/white inputs on your TV.

Then, once you've turned your TV on, change the Input/Source...
The model number of the Vizio should be on a sticker or plaque attached to the back of the HDTV. Either that or post images of the back of each device.

-Wolf sends

P.S. The SONY RMT-D197A is a remote control for your DVD player. What is the model number of the DVD player (also on the back of the unit).

Apr 7, 2018

Wolf, the model number of the Vizio is E420VA

The Sony DVD Player Serial number is ADW794 - It was refurbished

On the back of the TV is where I messed up. I thought the five cords that go to the DVD and were plugged into the back of the TV were colored coded with the plugin holes on the back of the TV. But there are 3 on one cord, they are Yellow, White & Red. Then 2 single cords, one is White and the other one is Yellow. I did not unplug any on the back of the DVD player and before I unplugged the ones on the back of the TV the DVD was working fine. The five places on the back of the TV are (Left to Right) Green, Blue, Red, White & Red. So when I plugged the ones into the TV is where I have made the mistake as to which cords plug into which holes in the TV. I hope I have given you enough to get the DVD working again.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank You, Jan

Ok. That's good enough (I hope).

First different connection types

AV/Composite - This is a three cable connection. It's color coded for Yellow (Video) and Red/White (Left/Right audio).
Component - This is a five cable connection. It's color coded for Green, Blue, Red (Video) and Red/White (Left/Right audio).

It sounds like your DVD player only has an AV/Composite output while your HDTV only has a component input. This is fine. If you check on page 24 of your User's Manual, there you will see that you can connect the yellow output of your DVD player to the green input of your HDTV. The red and white cables still connect to the right-most red/white inputs on your TV.

Then, once you've turned your TV on, change the Input/Source to AV on the HDTV and you should get an image.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Apr 7, 2018

Thank you so much, I was able to go by your directions and we can now watch our DVD's. Thanks, Jan