Connecting Gear to Net - Second Router?

dmsgraphix

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
My goal is to stream music from my PC to my stereo. I want to use a tablet or phone as a remote with iTunes, JRiver, etc.

Here is my set-up:

A coaxial cable and phone line come in one corner of the house. They are connected to a modem in an office in my basement. The modem connects to a router with an Ethernet line and to my phone via phone line. The router connects to my PC via Ethernet, with a line running up to the family room. The router provides a wireless signal through the house, though the signal strength is not ideal because it’s in the basement. Also, coaxial cable runs to the family room and to many other rooms. In the family room, the coaxial cable is connected to my cable box for TV.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/dms802/HomeLayout-72ppi_zps27049a8f.jpg

In my family room, I have a smart TV (Panasonic ST50), smart AV receiver (Onkyo TX NR616), and smart Blu-Ray player. I say “smart” because they all have wireless capabilities as wells as Ethernet ports. I’m not happy with the wireless signal and would prefer the components hardwired to my network. Just the AV receiver and TV are fine, but I would add the Blu-Ray if there is room. In the meantime, I definitely need my PC hardwired to the network. If possible, I also would like to add an Apple TV so my kids can stream wirelessly from their phones or pads onto the TV.

My current ISP is Comcast, though I am thinking of swithicng to Verizon because I could save a lot of money by making the change. Comcast supplied my router, which is Netgear N-150 WNR 1000 – pretty basic. If I get another router, I’d probably upgrade a bit.

Most of my basement is finished, but the office has a drop ceiling and it’s unfinished under the family room. So, it is a pain but not impossible to run wires. The run from the office to family room, allowing for some necessary zig-zags is about 50 ft.

Here are the options I considered:

Option 1 – Add Second Router
I could run an Ethernet cable from the router in the basement to the family room and add a second router there. Then I could connect the TV, AVR, and Air Port to it. I realize I could use a switch instead of a router, but the advantage of a router is that It would boost the Wi-Fi signal upstairs I’m not sure if it is reasonable possible to cascade routers this way.

Option 2 – Move the Router
I could move the existing router upstairs and connect it to the modem via an Ethernet cable to the office. Then I would need a second Ethernet cable from the router to the PC in my office in the basement. So, I would have to run two wires instead of one. I’m not sure there is any advantage to having the router and modem near each other during maintenance (re-setting, etc.)

Option 3- Move the Router and the Modem
I could move the modem upstairs. Presumably, I could use a splitter on the coaxial cable to connect one cable to the modem and one to my cable box. Then I could install the router there, too, and just run one Ethernet line to the basement for the PC. I would need to run a long phone line to the office, too.

My Preference
My preference is Option 1. However, I am not sure it is possible to cascade routers like this. Also, I am wondering how I would connect an Apple TV. Do I simply connect it via Ethernet to the router and then output via HDMI and/or optical to the TV and AVR?

Solution
Option 1. Instead of another router, what you want is an Access Point. To use another 'router' and have them be on the same subnet sharing data, you need to turn off most of its functions.

An Access Point is meant for this, and will do it better.

Just a sidenote...the basement is the worst place to put the main router. Signal propagation sucks from down there.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Option 1. Instead of another router, what you want is an Access Point. To use another 'router' and have them be on the same subnet sharing data, you need to turn off most of its functions.

An Access Point is meant for this, and will do it better.

Just a sidenote...the basement is the worst place to put the main router. Signal propagation sucks from down there.

Solution

dmsgraphix

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Isn't an access point wireless? If so, then how do I hardwire the TV and AVR to the network? I agree the basement is not the best place for a router. So, if I want just one router, it sounds like I should move it upstairs and run a cable back to the PC downstairs. Does that sound correct? Just trying to figure out what hardware I need and what wires to run before I embark on this project.

USAFRet

Illustrious

An access point can be either wired or wireless. In that, it can either be wired to the original router and rebroadcast the signal, and also allow other wired devices to connect to it...
or it can be wireless, sucking up the WiFi signal from the original and rebroadcasting it. And also allow other devices to connect hardwired to it.