Connecting my smartphone (Moto X) to a public WiFi hotspot

bonjourbob

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
I am two days into the learning curve on my Moto X smart phone and Android. According to my phone, I have a pending Android software update which I need to download via WiFi. I have no experience with WiFi via hotspots.
My question is this: Does the provider of my smartphone WiFi have to be the same as the provider who supports the hotspot location? For example, if I set my smartphone to Xfinity (comcast) WiFi and I go to say ... Starbucks who uses AT&T for WiFi, will I be able to connect, or do I have to match the hotspot providers service with AT&T?

Thanks

Solution
WiFi is WiFi, just connect to whatever signal you want to use. Who the ISP is at the back end of that service does not matter. Think of it as getting gas for your car. Just because the car was filled up with Shell gas from the dealer does not mean that you have to worry about using Mobil gas.

There is no default provider of WiFi for a phone in any case, it's just a generic standard that is not tied to any service provider, not like the data services which you need to configure for each service provider.
WiFi is WiFi, just connect to whatever signal you want to use. Who the ISP is at the back end of that service does not matter. Think of it as getting gas for your car. Just because the car was filled up with Shell gas from the dealer does not mean that you have to worry about using Mobil gas.

There is no default provider of WiFi for a phone in any case, it's just a generic standard that is not tied to any service provider, not like the data services which you need to configure for each service provider.

Solution

bonjourbob

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
I appreciate your response. It always seemed inconceivable that smartphone and hotspots had to match providers. My phone forces me to pick a wifi provider, which seemed weird. I will just go to a hotspot and try to connect. I'm sure you are right. Thanks again.