Connecting old record player to old speakers

komkommer

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I have an old Midi 46 record player that has a red and white LR output with the grounding cable. The old speakers that are with it the cables coming out are just two thin cables that at the end are just exposed wire. I get that I probably need a pre amp but I cant find one that I think will work.

Thanks Lads

Solution
Your "Midi 46" description for your record player didn't provide a solid match in Google, so I am guessing a bit. Record players traditionally require a special pre-amplifier to be compatible with normal audio amplifiers. I am guessing that you will have to find a receiver that has a phono input. There are separate phono pre-amps but the simplest thing is just to go to E-Bay or pawn shops and find an old home stereo receiver that has a phono input.

kanewolf

Judicious
Your "Midi 46" description for your record player didn't provide a solid match in Google, so I am guessing a bit. Record players traditionally require a special pre-amplifier to be compatible with normal audio amplifiers. I am guessing that you will have to find a receiver that has a phono input. There are separate phono pre-amps but the simplest thing is just to go to E-Bay or pawn shops and find an old home stereo receiver that has a phono input.

Solution

ohiophoenix

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
You won't find this answer anywhere but you do not need to buy a preamp like everyone tells you as you can save yourself alot of money buy using an older receiver with a phono input and running it through your new receiver.

kanewolf

Judicious

My answer from 6 months ago was exactly that. Saying that you won't find this answer anywhere is wrong. Anybody that understands home audio will suggest a couple things. One is a standalone pre-amp. The other is an older home stereo with a phono input. Running an older stereo into a current receiver would depend on the availability of line out on the old stereo.

ohiophoenix

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

there is always a line out you use an aux out of a tape one or 2 of the old amp acting as if you are recording. This is something that use to be RIGGED up when people didn't have the money to go separates but needed more audio inputs to run multiple things. That time seems to have passed. I stated you won't find it anywhere do to the fact most people today just Google and that's it with no thought process behind anything.