Connecting Pc to home theater

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I would like to use my computor to play something on my tv/ 5.1 system tonight, but am having trouble figuring out how to connect it all together. I have HDMi ports on my cards (GTX titan) and plenty of HDMI ports on TV. My receiver is a pioneer vsx60 elite. I think i can just go from pc via HDMI to receiver and then onto the TV via HDMi as well? But im not completely sure and dont wanna go out and buy a longer HDMi cable for nothing. Any suggestions on seting up?

Solution

That is indeed the right way to do it. You should then set the receiver's input to the PC HDMI connection, and check if your TV has a setting for external speakers (that will make it mute when using the speakers). You may also just mute the TV so it doesn't interfere with the 5.1 audio.

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
After reading some similar threads, i believe the way to do it is PC -> HDMi -> Receiver -> HDMI -> TV. Going to go get a longer HDMi cable, if anyone has any alternate suggestions id appreciate the input.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007

That is indeed the right way to do it. You should then set the receiver's input to the PC HDMI connection, and check if your TV has a setting for external speakers (that will make it mute when using the speakers). You may also just mute the TV so it doesn't interfere with the 5.1 audio.

Solution

dwatterworth

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
That's how I have mine set up. Works like a charm. 3D gaming and everything works flawlessly with audio on either the receiver or TV when the receiver is off and signal is passed through.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007

For audio using your reciever to get 5.1 you will need to use Toslink from your PC to the reciever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

For visuals you can run HDMI from your GPU to the reciever thats fine. Your reciever has an output HDMI port that connects to your TV. You can also run directly to the TV with HDMI. If possible investigate your TV for a DVI input. Most GPU to HDMI connections are limited to 30hz and if your TV is a plasma or a 120hz display it will run full bore on the DVI cable. HDMI is super limited gimic that should be avoided for visual connections when ever possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007

[strike]Dude, the guy has Titans. They work on HDMI 1.4, supporting up to 3D 1080p at 120Hz.[/strike]
Just figured you are right about HDMI and 120Hz, unless the receiver, TV, cable and VGA are 1.4b. Anyway, at least 1080p60 is guaranteed at 1.4 and above. The only reason to be concerned with this is if you are doing 3D gaming with active glasses at 1080p120. 3D Movies use 1080p24 frame packing, so they will work fine.

Also, the HDMI connection supports 5.1 audio, and even 7.1, so no need for TOSLINK.