Connecting PC to old 90's stereo

Thaze

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Hey all, my question is how do I connect my mobo's sound output to my stereo's input? The mobo has (4) 3.5mm outputs(left, right, sub, side speaker), the stereo has (6) rca inputs(front left, front right, rear left, rear right, sub, center). Although the stereo is old, it puts out good sound. Besides that, using it means I don't have to buy a seriously expensive computer speaker system.

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
upload a pic of the back of the stereo, you may need a receiver to use all at once on the PC. but i think RCA stereo to 3.5mm audio jack cables would work for using one of the those as a speaker, or maybe you can use 4 all at once with 4 sets of RCA-3.5mm cables since i think mobo with X.1 channel speaker systems are designed to work that way too. ultimately though the simplest and surest way to do this is through a receiver, and then using that receiver to connect to the PC. then youll also be able to hook up a number of other devices to the receiver, and use the speakers for all of them seamlessly and without having to ever switch out cables.

upload pics of the backs of the speakers, and tell us the exact motherboard model.

Thaze

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
New to forum not versed on how to upload a pic. But some additional info: I'm currently using three of the 3.5mm plugs to my comp speakers. Side speaker wasn't needed.

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
you can take a pic, and upload it to something like imageshack and paste the link to view here in the forum. so you are using 3/4 3.5mm plugs already? and you want to disconnect the comp speakers because the stereo will be better, right?

Thaze

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Yes, my comp speakers' sub has a tear in the cone. So instead of buy new and knowing me expensive comp speakers I'll just use this old stereo system. After looking on the internet, not so sure of plug size now, but for reference it's the same size as headphone plugs. The stereo's inputs are the same size as A/V cables.