connecting sky to home theater system

owenparsons

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
Hi ;)
So basically I'm thinking about getting a home theater and I will have a TV and projector. If I plug my sky box into the receiver with hdmi for picture and rca and coaxial for sound will I be able to chose whether to play the sound with TV speakers or surround sound or will it always play out of surround sound?.

Another option I thought of is having hdmi connected to Reciever for pic and audio and then a hdmi cable out going to projector and TV. Then have a coaxial cable come out of the TV and into the receiver. Same with projector

With one of these two methods could I choose whether I want sound from tv or surround sound. And how would I choose would I have to turn down the volume on TV and turn up volume on surround sound to get surround sound. Vice versa

Thanks for the answers and I hope you can reply nice and quick

Thanks!

Solution
If you get a receiver that has HDMI pass through when off and two hdmi outputs then you are set. When the receiver is off it feed the TV video and audio through HDMI.
If the receiver does not have these features then you will need some kind of HDMI distribution to feed the projector and TV anyway so I would split the HDMI output of your skybox. One HDMI would go the the TV, the other to the receiver. The HDMI output of the receiver would go to the projector.
This way you would just turn the TV sound down (or mute if that does not display on the screen) and turn the surround sound on.
Since the projector has no sound you will always need to use the surround with it.
If you get a receiver that has HDMI pass through when off and two hdmi outputs then you are set. When the receiver is off it feed the TV video and audio through HDMI.
If the receiver does not have these features then you will need some kind of HDMI distribution to feed the projector and TV anyway so I would split the HDMI output of your skybox. One HDMI would go the the TV, the other to the receiver. The HDMI output of the receiver would go to the projector.
This way you would just turn the TV sound down (or mute if that does not display on the screen) and turn the surround sound on.
Since the projector has no sound you will always need to use the surround with it.

Solution