Connecting Television to Home Theater, and additional feed into home theater from PC?

crossfin2004

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to the HDMI and home theatre technology!

Right so this is my question please.

I want to know if what I'm going to do will work as I want it to.

Ok so I have a Sony television, with 2 x HDMI ports - one which is ARC compatible.

I also have a Samsung Home Theatre system (with Smart TV), which has 1 x HDMI Input (as PC world describes it) and 1 x HDMI Output (ARC Compatible).

I also have a PC with a HDMI Video & Audio output which I want to interface with my Samsung theatre system, so music from my PC will output on my Home cinema system. (The video output is not necessary on the television as I will have a HDMI splitter at the PC end which will plug into my PC Monitor. I would just need the audio outputted through the cinema system)

Now, I presume I will need to connect the PC HDMI fed cable to the HDMI Input [on the Cinema system], and the television HDMI cable to the HDMI Output port (with ARC) of the cinema system?

Would this work!?

If not, what components or configuration would I need to achieve this?

My further question is I also want an additional output from my PC, which will feed a 3.5mm Auxiliary jack which will connect into one of those small speaker docks (with a AUX Input of course) - I believe I would need to again split the PC Audio & Video HDMI output and buy one of those Luxi audio extractors?

I hope someone can make head nor tail of the above!

Many thanks in advance.

Neil

Solution
For the first part of your question, maybe. The hookup makes sense but, since HDMI lets connected devices know when they are turned on, the TV may need to be on. You can test this easily.
You can extract the audio from the HDMI if you need to feed audio to both at the same time. Otherwise you could just change outputs on the PC to the analog output.
If you get an HDMI switch with audio output like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0
Then you would get some additional inputs and be able to extract the audio you need. It would connect to the HTiB and the HTiB to the TV.
For the first part of your question, maybe. The hookup makes sense but, since HDMI lets connected devices know when they are turned on, the TV may need to be on. You can test this easily.
You can extract the audio from the HDMI if you need to feed audio to both at the same time. Otherwise you could just change outputs on the PC to the analog output.
If you get an HDMI switch with audio output like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0
Then you would get some additional inputs and be able to extract the audio you need. It would connect to the HTiB and the HTiB to the TV.

Solution