Connecting Turntable to VSX 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfurry

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I have a Pioneer VSX 45 Elite receiver and finally have gotten around to getting a turntable to connect to it. There is no turntable input on the VSX 45, but I was led to believe that wouldn't be a problem.

I have the turntable's left/right RCA output cables running into a Pyle phono pre-amp. Which is turned on and grounded. And then I have a cable that takes the left/right output from the pre-amp to a single RCA input on the Pioneer that's earmarked for CD input.

When I select the CD input on the receiver and try to play a record, there's no sound. And user interface also says there's no input detected.

Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Thanks! So I hadn't noticed that the CD input was digital, and not able to be switched to analog.

I called Pioneer for further clarification and they suggested taking over the SAT/CBL audio inputs for the turntable. I only needed to go into the receiver's settings and change the assignment for SAT/CBL from HDMI to RCA.

And now it works!

Your connections seem fine.
Check the receiver input menu to make sure that the CD input is set for analog RCA. If it's set to digital or HDMI you would get no sound.
Also try connecting the TT directly to the receiver. It will sound low and bad but will tell you if the Pyle phono preamp is bad. Check the power supply for it that too if needed.

Superfurry

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks! So I hadn't noticed that the CD input was digital, and not able to be switched to analog.

I called Pioneer for further clarification and they suggested taking over the SAT/CBL audio inputs for the turntable. I only needed to go into the receiver's settings and change the assignment for SAT/CBL from HDMI to RCA.

And now it works!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.