Connecting TV/CABLE/AV RECEIVER/BLU-RAY

avanber

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
Thinking that dvd/cablebox directly into TV with HDMI and HDMI ARC to AV receiver is simplest but am I losing audio quality to my 5.1 receiver? Or should I have dvd/cablebox go into receiver with HDMI and then HDMI out of receiver to TV? All my equipment is new, SAMSUNG PN60E8000 TV/PIONEER VSX 824 reciever and SAMASUNG BD H6500. On latter setup would I need an additional HDMI to get SmartTV netflix/youtube sound to receiver?

avanber

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
HDMI from Blue-Ray to TV, HDMI from cable box to TV, then one HDMI from TV HDMI (ARC) to receiver is what I will do then. Thx. Some say digitial optical from TV to receiver is just as good, but I think HDMI (ARC) could be superior for richer material (3D/7.1.......).

I don't know if your TV would pass the lossless audio that Bluray Discs have so the preferred method is to connect your external sources to the receiver and the receiver to the TV via the designated ARC HDMI input for the internal tuner and or "smart TV".
This is the way it was intended that ARC be used and will give you the best possible sound quality. The ARC must be turned on in the TV and receiver.

avanber

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
So HDMI from BluRay to Pioneer vsx824 receiver and then HDMI (ARC) from reciever to TV? Then receiver will get optimal audio. Would TV then be getting optimal video, as that part of signal passes through receiver to get to TV? As well, "smart TV" stuff audio would pass through same HDMI (ARC), i.e. when watching BluRay the video is going up the cable and when watching "smart TV" stuff the audio is going down that same cable, bewtween TV and receiver?

I guess I can try different things, however am looking for expert opinions, as even if it appears to work what I try I want to be sure it is optimal