Question Connecting TV to analog audio amplifier (receiver)

Dec 1, 2019
I have a TCL Series 6 TV with ROKU and streaming capability for other audio input such as SiriusXM, Pandora and Spotify. I use satellite for TV so my TV comes into a satellite receiver. I have RCA connections from the satellite receiver to my big Sony STR-D1015 receiver which I use to power a big pair of AR-3a speakers and a JBL center channel speaker.

The problem is that when streaming audio with the TV, there is no suitable output from the TV that is compatible with my Sony receiver inputs. There is one output from the TV which is a powered output intended for a soundbar or headphones, not as an audio signal input to an external amplifier. The TV has 3 HDMI ports (one is ARC), and optical port, but the receiver only has the RCA pin inputs. How can I get the audio output from the TV to the receiver?

Is there an adapter that can interface between HDMI and RCA connectors? Sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm only 75 years old and this new tech stuff gets away from me.

EDIT: After some online research, I found a large number of HDMI to RCA converters. If anyone has used any of these, my interest is in audio quality, not video. Apparently most of them are aimed at Firestick and Roku users, not audiophiles looking to use analog audio equipment from HDMI TVs. Are there any recommendations, or anything to avoid? Brand names?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020
Hi...Simply connect the Analog Stereo Output (Red/White) RCA jacks on the Cable Box to the NAD Amplifier.
Ditto for Blu-Ray Player and any other components. Since the device is expected to perform the correct operations to output the correct STEREO (L+R) signal on these outputs, by default there shouldn't be any operator intervention required.