Connectors on PPCs

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I noticed my friend's (somewhat dated) PPC has a connector that is different
from mine. Is there a standard defined yet, or is every PPC different in
its cable? The reason I ask is that I was looking at getting this:
http://www.pharosgps.com/products/incarnavigation/PK045.htm
for a gift and wondering if it will connect to my friend's PPC.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> Is there a standard defined yet <<

No... while some mfg's use the same connector on multiple models, most
devices have specific connectors.

In addition, some PPC's do not have serial ports... with GPS, could be
more important to determine this than the connector configuration.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

What Bev says in on target. I have four different PPCs (from three
different manufacturers), and all have different connectors. I'll bet that
he has even more examples.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th
Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. See
www.mabry.com/vbpgser4 to order.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Edward L. Mann" <guedo_sarragucci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:aQ%Zd.74969$Ze3.3423@attbi_s51...
>I noticed my friend's (somewhat dated) PPC has a connector that is
>different
> from mine. Is there a standard defined yet, or is every PPC different in
> its cable? The reason I ask is that I was looking at getting this:
> http://www.pharosgps.com/products/incarnavigation/PK045.htm
> for a gift and wondering if it will connect to my friend's PPC.
>


A lot of IPAQs do share the same connector. For example, the 3835 and the
rx3115 will share the same cables, even down to a GPS cable and power
charger (which connects in to the regular port)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23yNNJNmKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> Is there a standard defined yet <<
>
> No... while some mfg's use the same connector on multiple models, most
> devices have specific connectors.
>
> In addition, some PPC's do not have serial ports... with GPS, could be
> more important to determine this than the connector configuration.

I thought the port I connected the sync cable to was a serial port... so
that device wouldn't work with most PDAs?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> cable <<

There's very little info in your posts... would help to know the make
and model of the ppc and the cable type... assume you know the
difference between a serial and usb (universal serial bus) connector.

If the cable is, indeed, a serial sync cable, it is wired as a nullmodem
cable and cannot be used to connect to a serial device such as a gps...
you can add another nullmodem adapter to do so.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The OP specifically mentioned the Pharos system. The one linked shows one of
the cabled systems. Pharos makes these with the appropriate connector for
most PPCs. As long as you get the Pharos model for your friends PPC, it will
most certainly work. It will have been constructed properly to acount for
the ins and outs, and wouldn't be available if the specific PPC didn't
support a serial connection.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:u3CUwBpKFHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> cable <<
>
> There's very little info in your posts... would help to know the make and
> model of the ppc and the cable type... assume you know the difference
> between a serial and usb (universal serial bus) connector.
>
> If the cable is, indeed, a serial sync cable, it is wired as a nullmodem
> cable and cannot be used to connect to a serial device such as a gps...
> you can add another nullmodem adapter to do so.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> op mentioned pharos <<

Yep, but he has yet to post his device mfg/model which will determine if
he can use the pharos system ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
 

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
354
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Dick Grier wrote:

> I have four different PPCs

I bet you are never late ! :eek:)


--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS