Console Theft Rose 285% in 3 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]how u steal large tv?[/citation]Probably have someone cause a distraction elsewhere in the store then run out the back with one.

With the obesity epidemic you can expect increasing numbers of really large people hiding them in their pants. I occasionally see people in grocery stores that could walk out with a 50 pound bag of sugar that way.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
theft is up because people are stupid

I see a lot more theft here in NY especially when taking the bus to college

Someone will be listen to music on their iphone, and since the device has a severe lack of buttons, you cant use the device from inside your pocket so you generally have to take it out to navigate and control the music (no matter how well you know the UI)

so generally when someone pulls out the iphone and holds it in one hand (it's design means even less grip) if the user is not 100% focused on the device, people will often run past and grab the iphone and then run off the bus, by the time the victim gets up, the person is generally long gone.

another popular theft is the idiots who have those sidekicks

you will have someone with their sidekick chatting or aim or something, completely unaware of the outside world, when the bus stops, someone will generally grab the device then run away, and there usually pretty far by the time the person is able to get up and chase after them.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I am surprised Portable GPS that stick to your windshield aren't on the list. I have had two of those stolen in my life. It cost more to fix the window then it does to buy a new GPS.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I suspect much of these "thefts" are bogus. People report stuff stolen to get insurance money to cover their habit...whatever that habit may be...drugs, gambling, gaming...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]I suspect much of these "thefts" are bogus. People report stuff stolen to get insurance money to cover their habit...whatever that habit may be...drugs, gambling, gaming...[/citation]
So, I can claim someone stole my old 32" which I payed a ridiculous amount for (foolish me), claim what I paid, and then buy a brand new 50" plasma?
YAY!

Expected though. If I caught someone stealing my Xbox, I'd chase them with a damned bat. If I caught someone stealing my $2,000 crysis rig, I'd chase them with a god damned rifle!

Had a guy steal $10,000+ in tools form ym fathers shop though... police were totals jackasses b ecause they thought we were trying to claim insurance (which we didn't have, so we couldn't claim, idiots). We even knew who did it... useless pigs.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
The economy sucks so the easiest thing for a lot of people to do is steal. I leave my tv on half the time I leave the house, just so people think I'm home if they hear the tv. Too bad their punishment couldn't be to have 1 finger cut off for every offense.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Believe it or not.. stores like best buy and circuit city.. have policies that do NOT allow their employees to stop a theft.
They can only call the police.. they are not allowed to detain the person in any way.
some stores actually pay people to stay in certain areas of the store that are high theft potential ...but they are basically scarecrows.. just sales people that can only view the theft but cannot act to stop it.
It's all because of legal reasons.
I talked with a person from Best Buy.. they had a Flat screen sale on day.. and they mistakenly stacked some lcd tv's in front of the store by the doors.. and someone grabbed one and walked out with it.. they could do nothing but watch it...and call the police of course.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Believe it or not.. stores like best buy and circuit city.. have policies that do NOT allow their employees to stop a theft.They can only call the police.. they are not allowed to detain the person in any way.some stores actually pay people to stay in certain areas of the store that are high theft potential ...but they are basically scarecrows.. just sales people that can only view the theft but cannot act to stop it.It's all because of legal reasons.I talked with a person from Best Buy.. they had a Flat screen sale on day.. and they mistakenly stacked some lcd tv's in front of the store by the doors.. and someone grabbed one and walked out with it.. they could do nothing but watch it...and call the police of course.[/citation]

As a BBY employee I can't deny any of this

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]theft is up because people are stupidI see a lot more theft here in NY especially when taking the bus to collegeSomeone will be listen to music on their iphone, and since the device has a severe lack of buttons, you cant use the device from inside your pocket so you generally have to take it out to navigate and control the music (no matter how well you know the UI)so generally when someone pulls out the iphone and holds it in one hand (it's design means even less grip) if the user is not 100% focused on the device, people will often run past and grab the iphone and then run off the bus, by the time the victim gets up, the person is generally long gone.another popular theft is the idiots who have those sidekicks you will have someone with their sidekick chatting or aim or something, completely unaware of the outside world, when the bus stops, someone will generally grab the device then run away, and there usually pretty far by the time the person is able to get up and chase after them.[/citation]

Moral lesson when you commute to get to where you want to go, don't listen to music, don't play games, don't watch a movie. Pay some damn attention to your surroundings.

* I learned that the hard way when my phone was stolen while listening to music :(

Status
Not open for further replies.