Constant blue screens and TDR

Stagnoises

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
Rather than tack this on to my previous question, I thought I'd make a new topic since the nature of the issue had changed.

I managed to roll the computer back to its factory Vista settings. Since doing this, I can access the desktop.

The bad news:
- I am met with "the display driver stopped responding and has recovered" very often--any time I open anything that requires my graphics card to works. This includes the Nvidia control panel, the driver update executable (especially that--it forced it into low res mode then blue screened).

It's a g50vt-X1 (4 gb Ddr2 ram, Centrino 2, 9800m GS).

I would like to remedy this, but since TDR is now involved, and I have read that TDR can be caused by a multitude of different hardware failures, I thought I'd come back with an update. Sorry if the double post is wrong, but it's a different problem.

Also: when I open GPU-Z, the screen starts to distort, the display driver restarting is more frequent and there are numerous jagged lines on the screen.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Re-download the gpu drivers. When it comes to install, take the 'custom' setting, not express. Right after, you get the installation screen, and on the left is a check box option for a clean install. Use it. Chances are good that because of the factory reset, you now have corrupted drivers, or at least conflicting drivers. A clean install should remedy this. If not, get the driver delete from guru3d and follow the nvidia instructions, then do a re-download install.

Stagnoises

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015

I followed the instructions and the driver successfully installed. However, when I restarted, I got the display driver has stopped responding pop-up. In addition, when I open the battle.net app and attempt to update WoW it crashes immediately. It's gotten to the point that when I open an app and look away for more than 5 seconds, I look back and the screen is off and the computer is restarting.

Stagnoises

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015

Scratch that progress. It's now just blue screening without ever loading the desktop because "attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed."