Constant internet lag spikes on everything

chrisjurkowski

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
Hi i get internet lag spikes consistently in every application using it, e.g games, or youtube videos. I have eliminated the chance of it being a local network issue due to use at other houses, and i updated the bios with no improvements, i believe it is an issue with the network adapter but im not sure, Thanks in advance.

Specs
i5-4590k
r9 290
8gb 1600mhz
ga z97 hd3 rev 2.1
(all drivers are up to date)

Solution
You can get a cheap network card to test with, testing a clean Windows setup will also help rule out if it's hardware or software.

You can use a spare hard drive to test things so if it turns out to have the same issue you can just go back to your original one and try a different network card.
You said something about "use at other houses", does the system have issues no matter where you use it? Did you do a virus/spyware scan? Try a new Windows setup? Check for anything that is downloading files in the background? Wireless or wired adapter? Did you check your modem and router?

chrisjurkowski

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
Yes it has issues on every network i presume, i have done a virus scan nothing found , there is nothing downloading in the background (i have done a check with task manager to see network usage per application, spikes when it lags). Wired. Yes

You can get a cheap network card to test with, testing a clean Windows setup will also help rule out if it's hardware or software.

You can use a spare hard drive to test things so if it turns out to have the same issue you can just go back to your original one and try a different network card.

Solution