Solved! control hdmi switch with tv

Rick Sauce

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
i have a setup that includes "ambilight" that reacts according to the source's video for example if i watch tv box it would have to have input from the box,if i want it to work on ps4 i have to switch the hdmi on to the input,im looking for a 4 port hdmi switch that would be controlled by my tv when i change the tv input source .i have a newer 4k tv and dont know of any standards for controlling in synch such a device

Solution
If you could find an HDMI input selector with the ability to learn the HDMI input commands from your TV remote it wouldn't help you.
The selector will output to only 1 HDMI input on the TV. When you sent the TV command to change HDMI inputs it would change the selector AND the TV. So now the TV isn't on the correct input for the selector.
If you connect the output of the selector to a distribution box so it feeds all the HDMI inputs on the TV then it would work but it seems like a lot of hassle.
I assume that you want to use one remote to control the HDMI switcher and the TV.
Seems like a universal remote that could be programmed for your application would make more sense. One of the Logitech Harmony remotes should work.
If you could find an HDMI input selector with the ability to learn the HDMI input commands from your TV remote it wouldn't help you.
The selector will output to only 1 HDMI input on the TV. When you sent the TV command to change HDMI inputs it would change the selector AND the TV. So now the TV isn't on the correct input for the selector.
If you connect the output of the selector to a distribution box so it feeds all the HDMI inputs on the TV then it would work but it seems like a lot of hassle.
I assume that you want to use one remote to control the HDMI switcher and the TV.
Seems like a universal remote that could be programmed for your application would make more sense. One of the Logitech Harmony remotes should work.

Solution

Rick Sauce

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
ya makes sense,im using my tablet remote that came with my tv to control tv and the media center so maybe they make some kind of android controllable hdmi switch and i can use tablet for all things