Converted internal hdd to external taking too time to load

JasmeetMonga

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
Heya, i had old lenovvo laptop which got broke down so i thought of using its internal hdd as external hdd using enclosure. The problem is whenever i connect my converted hdd to my new laptop it is taking too much time to read and my laptop also hangs after some time. So i have following questions -

My old laptop had windows 7 and new laptop have windows 8.1. Is change of OS is creating trouble?

My enclosure is defective? Well i have already used two enclosures both have same result. I am using usb 2.0 enclosure.

Since my hdd is almost full and i am connecting for the first time to my new laptop. Is this causing problem?

My hdd is dead?? Since it is taking time to load i can see drive loading in my computer very slowly so i think my hdd is not dead.

Please anyone help me.. I am so much confused..

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, JasmeetMonga!

I'd recommend you to try using a SATA-to-USB cable maybe and see if there will be any improvement on the speed. I'd use a USB 3.0 connection though, and see how the transfer rate will be then. The USB 2.0 might be just too slow for your almost-full drive.
If you are concerned about the health of the HDD, I'd recommend you to check your HDD manufacturer's website for a diagnostic tool that will help us determine if there is something wrong with it. Make sure you post the SMART status results.
In case you cannot find such a utility, you can refer to this thread for some third-party suggestions: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Keep me posted with the results! :)
SuperSoph_WD