Convertible laptop that can also game

richardyzx9

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hello Tom's Hardware forums. I'm very new to this forum but I heard you guys give the best technical advise out there so I thought you could answer a question of mine.

I am looking to buy a computer that will suit all my needs. Recently my mom bought a convertible laptop (Thinkpad X220) and I thought it was pretty neat. I really would like one for myself. But the problem is, I'm also a gamer and would like a computer to run high-performance video games well. A bit of research into the convertible laptops on the market quickly showed me that I had to pick one or the other.

My question is, is there a way to make a laptop that converts to a tablet and also can run games? My first thought is to get a Thinkpad-type convertible laptop and replace the graphics card. Is that do-able? Is it the best solution? What are my other options?

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Generally any tablet is not going to offer good or even decent x86 gaming performance. The one exception I can think of is the Razar Edge.

crazytiki

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Your only option so far, is the Acer R7. It will be released on the 17th for $1k base, but it can be configured with an i7 and a 750m Gddr5...
take a look: http://www.acer.com/aspirer7/en_US/
I will be getting on once haswell hits though :D