Converting 2.0 (stereo) Audio sources to 5.1 for my surround sound system.

lotus2_64

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
In my living room I have an HTPC/Gaming PC running an R7 260x (latest drivers and suite), and have it hooked up via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver, which is then connected to a full 5.1 surround sound system and my 1080p television. This works excellently when the original audio supports 5.1 and I had a great experience playing the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot game. However for regular stereo audio sources, sound only comes out of my left and right speaker, no center or surround left/right. My sub-woofer is completely silent as well. The receiver I have does not support any kind of upscaling or audio conversion with the HDMI input, only analog, and I do NOT want to keep changing from hdmi 5.1 audio to stereo analog out so my receiver can upscale the analog source to 5.1. That's not a feasible option. Is there anything in the Crimson drivers and software suite that can detect a 2 channel versus 5.1 channel audio source and upscale it for my speakers? If not, is there another software/driver or anything that can help me with this? It would make my life so much easier and give me a much better audio experience considering how much stuff out there is limited to simple stereo audio. This is in a mini-ITX case so a sound card is not an option.

jeff_35

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
you could get a sound blaster Dolby card and have kick as_ sound. make sure everything is set to pcm. i use an optical cable to my onkyo and it just rocks. anus makes a Dolby card too. Dolby has better sound .